Bi-Lingual labeling

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceb58

Something was said in a continuing ed class I was in a few weeks ago and reading another post it touched on the same subject. One inspector said that he felt that Bi-Lingual labeling on panels would one day be a requirement. Do any of you that work in the larger Hispanic areas do this and dose any local requirements mandate it? I dont give a rat about the "they should or should not" be here discussion. I have my opinion and that's all I will say.

nakulak

We are doing a couple of hotels within a few miles of your nations capital, and last time I checked about 95% of the workers were hispanic. I guess that's a trend in a lot of metropolitan areas ? The native language in the US has only been English since the settlers ran the native Americans off their own land, however, so I don't really have a problem with this language thing. Whatever the language is, I will speak it so I can better communicate with my fellow man. We have a few hispanic guys, and when necessary I make sure that they are instructed on exactly what communication to give over the radios so we don't screw up. I have had no worse nor better communication problems with workers we have had from other English speaking countries like Ireland, England, the Netherlands, etc.

ultramegabob

I have never met a Hispanic electrician, although there are quite a few brickeys and sheetrockers that are Hispanic around here...

crazyboy

at what point do we draw the line as to the languages we need to put on them? We start putting Spanish on them, and next thing you know we need to label them in Chinese if we're working in a Chinese dominated neighborhood. Last I knew English was the language here so I say we stick with just that

nakulak

If you are speaking english its only because its the language that gun toting immigrants (boat people) brought over here and forced on the natives they didn't kill. And the only reason south americans speak spanish is because gun toting boat people forced spanish on the natives that they didn't kill. So the native language here is/are the dialects of the native Americans, any other language, including english, was brought here by boat people and immigrants, and it would be nice to keep this in mind when disdaining the use another language by immigrants coming into the country now.

jeremysterling

The company I work for employs Texicans, Latinos, Chicanos and Hispanics. The owner is Hispanic and hires only people who speak, read and write English. I believe he has hired Mexican Nationals, if that individual had the proper work visa (green card) and spoke English.

IMO, the labeling should be only English.

Warning signs in predominantly Spanish speaking neigborhoods (barrios) might be both for public safety. i.e. peligro-alto voltaje = danger-high voltage.

If I was an electrician in Mexico, I would not expect to see panel schedules written in English.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
I have seen panels here labeled only in Spanish. 50% of our company is Hispanic.

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
I don't have my 2008 handy but doesn't it say something about the directory needing to be understandable to the tenants?

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
I don't have my 2008 handy but doesn't it say something about the directory needing to be understandable to the tenants?

Nope......

408.4 Circuit Directory or Circuit Identification.
Every circuit and circuit modification shall be legibly identified as to its clear, evident, and specific purpose or use. The identification shall include sufficient detail to allow each circuit to be distinguished from all others. Spare positions that contain unused overcurrent devices or switches shall be described accordingly. The identification shall be included in a circuit directory that is located on the face or inside of the panel door in the case of a panelboard, and located at each switch on a switchboard. No circuit shall be described in a manner that depends on transient conditions of occupancy.

Jim W in Tampa

Like it or not your likely to see the requirement in the specs. Just like many laws they start off mild and then in time force it. Anyone remember in the late 60's how seat belts were dealt with. Look at it now. Might just as well get use to idea. And you will start seeing jobs being given to men that speak both over just english.

iwire

Staff member
Nope......

Just a rejected proposal.

9-102 Log #811 NEC-P09​
Final Action: Reject
(408.4)

________________________________________________________________​
Submitter:​
Larry Covelli, Lighthouse Electrical Contractor Inc.

Recommendation:​
Revise text to read as follows:
Every circuit and circuit modification shall be legibly identified at to its clear,
evident, and specific purpose or use. In the language used in that household or
facility public or private.

Substantiation:​
When a circuit is identified, it should be in the language
spoken in the household or facility public or private. This is a serious safety
issue. If you can not read what is written on a panelboard or any circuit
directory. The potential for life or limb is current.

Panel Meeting Action: Reject
Panel Statement:​
The language of the proposal is unenforceable in most
situations, as the language of the household may be unknown (i.e., spec. house
with no buyer). Additionally, tenants of a residence are a dynamic factor, with
no way to anticipate the native language of future residents. Introducing
language as a variable in such marking requirements does not increase the
safety of the installation.

Number Eligible to Vote: 11
Ballot Results:​
Affirmative: 10

Ballot Not Returned: 1 de Vega, H.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The native language in the US has only been English since the settlers ran the native Americans off their own land, however, so I don't really have a problem with this language thing.

If you are speaking english its only because its the language that gun toting immigrants (boat people) brought over here and forced on the natives they didn't kill.

So the native language here is/are the dialects of the native Americans, any other language, including english, was brought here by boat people and immigrants, and it would be nice to keep this in mind when disdaining the use another language by immigrants coming into the country now.
Okay, I'm game. What's native-American for Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupter?

iaov

Esta es los Estados Unidos y hablamos en Espanol aqui!!:D It would probably better/easier if we spoke only one language here but the cat is long sinse out of the bag. Everyone in this country speaks Spannish, just to different degrees.

Status
Not open for further replies.