Decora switch markings

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I should know this, but don't and can't find an exception in the code book.

404.7 says switches must be marked 'on' and 'off'. How is it that Decora switches (no such marking) are acceptable?

A little bit of a conflict here I think:

404.7 Indicating. General-use and motor-circuit switches, circuit breakers, and molded case switches, where mounted in an enclosure as described in 404.3, shall clearly indicate whether they are in the open (off) or closed (on) position.
The "when mounted in an enclosure" part does not seem to give any slack, since a Decora switch is mounted in an enclosure. And it seems to fit the definition of a general use switch.

but then we see 404.15(B)
(B) Off Indication. Where in the off position, a switching device with a marked OFF position shall completely dis- connect all ungrounded conductors to the load it controls.
Which seems to imply that a switching device need not necessarily have a marked off position.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
A little bit of a conflict here I think:

The "when mounted in an enclosure" part does not seem to give any slack, since a Decora switch is mounted in an enclosure. And it seems to fit the definition of a general use switch.

but then we see 404.15(B)
Which seems to imply that a switching device need not necessarily have a marked off position.

Double pole (3 and 4 way) are allowed to not have on and off markings. I think that is what 404.15(B) applies to.

I should know this, but don't and can't find an exception in the code book.

404.7 says switches must be marked 'on' and 'off'. How is it that Decora switches (no such marking) are acceptable?

No, it says the switch must 'indicate' whether it's on or off. If the switch controls a luminare then the light indicates the switch position. If the switch controls a non-indication load then it must have such indication. This can become a problem in kitchen and bath circuits when where the 'no other outlets' rule is in force. My jurisdiction does regularly enforce the 404.7 on kitchen disposals and unlighted bath fans.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
No, it says the switch must 'indicate' whether it's on or off. If the switch controls a luminare then the light indicates the switch position. If the switch controls a non-indication load then it must have such indication. This can become a problem in kitchen and bath circuits when where the 'no other outlets' rule is in force. My jurisdiction does regularly enforce the 404.7 on kitchen disposals and unlighted bath fans.

I have to disagree.

The light is not part of the switch. If the bulb in the luminaire burns out, that does not mean the switch is off in both positions.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
404.7 does not apply to Decora type switches because Decora type switches are snap switches and covered under 404.9.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
404.7 does not apply to Decora type switches because Decora type switches are snap switches and covered under 404.9.
My first impression was that .7 was a general article and that it applied in addition to the information in specific subtype sections. I will look at it harder and consult the Handbook.

Status
Not open for further replies.