does NEC supersede IRC

Status
Not open for further replies.

kbrandt

Just wondering does NEC supersede the IRC? Or are they completely different? Gonna make a case with county that uses IRC.

Thanks for any info.

kbrandt

The issue is bonding. Look at my last post: one inspector says one thing and another says something else. Its in this section.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If the fire code requires us to bond CSST piping a certain way and the NEC is silent on it or does not require it then you will have to bond the pipe. I am not sure exactly what you want

jumper

If the fire code requires us to bond CSST piping a certain way and the NEC is silent on it or does not require it then you will have to bond the pipe. I am not sure exactly what you want

I think the OP is in a situation where the IRC and the NEC are differing on some bonding issue. I know there a few differences regarding electrical.

kbrandt

This is the post that I did a few days ago. But I know the inspector uses IRC, and I want to show him the NEC. Probably more detail in NEC.

one inspector said yes, other says no on BONDING GAS TO WATER--Please help
In this county we have to BOND water to gas. Now here's the problem and I will be taking this to the new inspector.

New service on old house. Inspector who is no longer with the county let us drive a ground rod (only one required here) take a #4 from service to closest gas (customer side) or water line and then go into the waterheater/ gas furnace room and run a # 4 from water to gas line. DONE.

OK new inspector wants us to run #4 all the way from the service to the water and gas outside, does not like the bond jumper from water to gas in utlity room. Says pipe may become energized and what if the clamp on either the gas or water (which ever one is used and closet to service) outside comes loose, someone may get shocked. He says can't use pipe as part of the conductivity for bonding.

I don't know if they consider water line and gas line as grounding electrode, I know the gas can't be used as electrode. But want them bonded.

On some of these houses the gas line is 50 to 100 feet away from water and service.

I have read all the threads and still fuzzy on the whole thing.

Which inspector is correct. This is bonding not grounding.

This house is old and does not have equipment grounds to some circuits. I know the rule on equipment ground to furnace. But need a clear answer on the bonding jumper from waterheater to gas for furnace, so I can show inspector, and yes I have read section 250, but nothing on my case is clear to me with the jumper.

I try to keep the cost down as much as I can, because these inspectors let every illegal electrical contracor do services as long as the home owner gets the permit and put self down, like they are doing the work themselves and charge way over $1000, most of the time more than me. And inspectors are fully aware of this, don't even mention the ROC, they do nothing, I've tried.
Sorry off main topic.

Please clear this up for inspector and myself.

Thanks for any help.

Status
Not open for further replies.