Arctic Temps in The Midwest

Status
Not open for further replies.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
As of 7:55 a.m. in Sheboygan Falls, Wisconsin We've got 13 below zero. That's without the windchill (that would make it -32). Another day off? Mabye...:roll:
Must be nice to live in the warm south. Driving into work the car thermometer said -19? when I left Oshkosh.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
No wonder certain communities in Florida, California, Arizona, Nevada and others swell in population this time of year. ;)

Yeah and the Rose Parade is another reason, every year it's on TV it's usually 72 degrees and sunny.:grin:

I do feel for you guys up north, my dad was raised in snow country, I have a picture of him standing at the 8' mark of a snow gauge, and that's one of the reasons we moved here. It was 80 degree's yesterday.

I can't even imagine what it would be like to tell some one "oh yeah, warmed up like 30 degrees this morning, it's clear up to 0, I'm thinking of taking off my sweater."

Last edited:

gardiner

Were gearing up for some flooding seems we are looking at a Chinook for the next week and that means 50+ F for a while and a lot of snow on the roads that will melt.
From minus 40 to plus temperatures in less then a week its a wonder everyone here is not sick.

Kdog76

Were gearing up for some flooding seems we are looking at a Chinook for the next week and that means 50+ F for a while and a lot of snow on the roads that will melt.
From minus 40 to plus temperatures in less then a week its a wonder everyone here is not sick.

Chinook? Last time I saw one of those it was on the end of my fishing pole.:D
Not quite sure about you Canadians.

Last edited:

480sparky

Chinook? Last time I saw one of those it was on the end of my fishing pole.:D
Not quite sure about you Canadians.

I thought a Chinook was a type of helicopter.
fiufiu.gif

Keep in mind the only thing between Canada and the North Pole is a barbed wire fence. And it's been knocked down.
nervous-laughter.gif

gardiner

"Chinook is a Pacific Northwest Indian word meaning 'snow-eater'[3], as a strong Chinook can make snow one foot deep almost vanish in one day. The snow partly melts and partly evaporates in the dry wind. Chinook winds have been observed to raise winter temperature, often from below −20?C (−4?F) to as high as 10?C to 20?C (50?F to 68?F) for a few hours or days, then temperatures plummet to their base levels. The greatest recorded temperature change in 24 hours was caused by Chinook winds on January 15, 1972, in Loma, Montana; the temperature rose from -48?C (-56?F) to 9?C (49?F)."

This one we really needed I could not take any more -40's days for while but most of the side streets out here have a couple of feet of snow on them as they melt your cars sink into the slush and you end up pushing a lot as the snow melts we will have wading pools at the bottom of every hill in the city and there are a lot of hill here.

COFFEE TIME

I really admire how "Rugged" you guys are,"Up-North, Up-East,

Up-Where ever freezing your Butt off." When it comes to the cold

you guys are wayyyyy tougher than me. I'm from Texas so heat

I can stand ,But the COLD,No way.

so that explains what happen to the Dallas Cowboys when they played my EAGLES a couple weeks ago...:D just kidding :D GO EAGLES

tonyou812

me and the little old lady like to go down to Fla for 2 weeks in february. I laugh when I see my mom in law wearing a jacket when its 60 65 degrees outside. They even have the heat on. And they tell me Im gonna catch a cold if I dont put a sweater on !
But the heat can really stink too. I installed Landscape lights down there last august and at times it was almost unbearable digging a trench in that heat. If they didnt have a pool it would have been a rough go at it.

tshea

I got -8F right now. Tomorrow we have a heat wave coming +20F

Kept all the guys indoors today. No way to function outdoors and not get hurt.

macmikeman

me and the little old lady like to go down to Fla for 2 weeks in february. I laugh when I see my mom in law wearing a jacket when its 60 65 degrees outside. They even have the heat on. And they tell me Im gonna catch a cold if I dont put a sweater on !
But the heat can really stink too. I installed Landscape lights down there last august and at times it was almost unbearable digging a trench in that heat. If they didnt have a pool it would have been a rough go at it.

What Florida is missing in summer time is trade winds for about 98 percent of the state. Miami gets some near the ocean, and Brevard and areas around there. The trade winds are what keep it liveable around where I live in summer time, on days when they crap out its living hell to be near to the equator. Humidity is what makes it feel so miserable in Florida in the summer, coupled with the heat. I'll take Hawaii any day.

zappy

Actual temps.I've been trying for years to convince my wife that I am a delicate tropical animal that should migrate in August. She alas, is heartless and refuses to send me money so I can over winter in a more pleasant enviroment. My near fatal PMS (Parked motorcycle syndrome) bothers her not in the least!!:smile:
Dude thats Funny!

...I can't even imagine what it would be like to tell some one "oh yeah, warmed up like 30 degrees this morning, it's clear up to 0, I'm thinking of taking off my sweater."

Those are the days when I hear someone say: "Man, it's freezing out here!"

And I reply: "Nope, it's not that warm!"

It is 4:48PM. I'm still at the office. It is 12 degrees outside, and starting to snow.

I love it! It was 70 4 days ago!

Status
Not open for further replies.