Lightning protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Npstewart

We were recently asked to review a design for lightning protection that a lightning protection company did. We most likely will turn this down because nobody has a whole lot of experience with this, but my question is:

Is there a governing agency for this sort of thing, or a standard, what would this be reviewed against?

Does this really fall under the category of electrical engineering?

Thanks everyone.

BJ Conner

Lightning Protection Systems

Lightning Protection Systems

The UL certifies desingers and installers. Lightning protection systems are designed by UL certified designers who produce design drawings issued with a Masters certification.
Many of the same companies that design they systems will install them. A seperate company can install the system but there has to be a final inspection and sign off by a UL Certified inspector.
I don't see any reason for you to review their drawings other than it's interesting and you can lean something about the systems. Any comments you have about their system they can ignore.
Lightning protection system without the label are useless. It's an art and not a science. The best designed system may take a stroke and if the system is not labeled the insurance company is just going to say "gee-that's to bad" and your on your own.

rcwilson

That's where it gets stuck in our company.

There are several IEEE articles and standards that include lightning protection. The Green Book has a chapter on lightning and static protection so it seems to be EE related.

To me it is akin to fire protection/detection which is not really electrical but we end up doing it because wiring is involved. The design of fire protection and lightning protection isn't based on theory and calculations as much as by art and experience with most of the experience and designs being driven by insurance companies. If we don't put lightning protection on the client's building, his insurance rates go up. (Just my opinion).

It may seem more like an architectural design detail, but we EE's are probably the best suited to review the lightning protection design, after reviewing the applicable NFPA standards a few of the good tutorials that are on line.

My concern is the designer is usually also the supplier of the equipment and I am never comfortable that we aren't getting oversold.

Hameedulla-Ekhlas

We were recently asked to review a design for lightning protection that a lightning protection company did. We most likely will turn this down because nobody has a whole lot of experience with this, but my question is:

Is there a governing agency for this sort of thing, or a standard, what would this be reviewed against?

Does this really fall under the category of electrical engineering?

Thanks everyone.

Check NFPA-780 it may help you.

Lightning protection is covered by 3 main bodies each with their own standard.
UL - UL96a for Installation of Lightning Protection Systems
UL - UL96 Lightning Protection materials standard
UL does not certify designers, they certify manufacturers and installers.
UL offers certification for complete lightning protection systems in the form of a UL Master Label following a successful inspection.

NFPA - NFPA780 for the Installation of Lightning Protection Systems

Lightning Protection Institute - LPI175 Lightning Protection Institute Standard of Practice
LPI offers members testing and certification as Journeyman, Master Installer or Master Installer/Designer. Professionals can be tested and certified as a Designer Inspector.
LPI offers certification for complete lightning protection systems holding a UL Master Label.

Lightning Protection Systems usually falls under section 16670 in the electrical division but not always, it can also be found under special systems 13100.

Lightning protection systems are often designed to one or more of the nationally recognized standards as required per the project specifications. The design is based on the theories and calculations set by those standards as a minimum. Installation drawings are generated by a variety of sources, some Dealer/Contractors have a design department and some Manufacturers have their own design department that works directly with Dealer/Contractors. Architects and Engineers also design systems.

In the lightning protection industry you have the good, the bad and the ugly just like every other industry. All you can do make sure you are working with a certified Dealer/Contractor, Installer that have tested and certified staff and utilize listed and label materials. When I design a lightning protection system I follow the standards for the minimum and beyond if needed to meet the customer's needs and request.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
We've had projects involving lightening protection but sub'd it out; a UL certified inspector was brought in to do the inspection. If you're not familiar with it, let it go. Not worth the liability that could fall on you.

Npstewart

Thanks guys, I really appreciate all your help and comments.

I will keep a copy of the design because it certainly is good to learn something. I will most likely use it to check against the NFPA standard for lightning protection.

Thanks again guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.