pool pump grd lug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The bonding wire can be either bare, or insulated. I have never seen insulated wire used on a pool for the equipotential bonding.

The bonding is inadvertently connected to the panel thru the EGC of the pump. A #8 is not part of that scheme.

Buck Parrish

I have three existing pools that the city just told them it needed to be bonded. I have not looked at it. But I know they have concrete poured all around them. Theses pools have been in use for years.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
If they are talking about the EPB you better get out the jack hammer and tear up the concrete. Have fun.

I would call Danny and see what they want.

Buck Parrish

It's chapel hill and orange county.
But from what you said it sounds like the bond does not have to go back to the panel room. So you might be right about the jack hammer. 680.26

It's the under water lights that require the insulated bond, right?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
But from what you said it sounds like the bond does not have to go back to the panel room. So you might be right about the jack hammer. 680.26

That is correct.

Oh Orange county means the other Dan :). He lurks here sometimes but never asks questions.

satcom

Good issue, back a few years New Jersey started inspecting commercial pools on a regular schedule, and they wanted all the bonding tested, we were getting flooded with calls, this time of year, and many of the repairs, bonds, required opening the pavement.

WinZip

All metal parts of those pools are to be bonded to include.

ladder cups - rear of light niches bare #8 - inside #8 insulated green with 3m potting compound or aqua bond over connection an lug - skimmer plates - hand rails - diving board jigs - complete grid around pool an bare #8 back to pump motors - also all equipment in pump room or pump pad to be bonded to motor GRD lugs an the #8 from grid - anchors for volley ball net,think that just about covers it.

I'm sure someone will have a few more items I might have missed.

Good issue, back a few years New Jersey started inspecting commercial pools on a regular schedule, and they wanted all the bonding tested, we were getting flooded with calls, this time of year, and many of the repairs, bonds, required opening the pavement.

Does NJ require pools to be bonded if the pool was installed before the bonding of pools was required?

Cavie

All metal parts of those pools are to be bonded to include.

ladder cups - rear of light niches bare #8 - inside #8 insulated green with 3m potting compound or aqua bond over connection an lug - skimmer plates - hand rails - diving board jigs - complete grid around pool an bare #8 back to pump motors - also all equipment in pump room or pump pad to be bonded to motor GRD lugs an the #8 from grid - anchors for volley ball net,think that just about covers it.

I'm sure someone will have a few more items I might have missed.

Any and all metal within 5' of the pool water

satcom

Does NJ require pools to be bonded if the pool was installed before the bonding of pools was required?

It was only commercial pools they required the testing of bonding, about ones that were not bonded am not sure, but to test or replace broken bonding on the existing pools would require some extensive pavement work, a good number of the owners just closed the pools, rather then go thru the expense.

WinZip

We are starting a rework on an in ground liner pool where there taking out the walk way decks an i thought we would have to go back with the Equibonding grid system under the decks but after speaking with electrical inspector he said it is not required on re remodels but be sure to have at least the bare bond #8 run from metal pool wall to pump motor and related equipment, which it does have that from when the pool was built.

satcom

"On December 11, 1998, Governor Christie Todd Whitman signed into law P.L. 1998,C,137 which requires the periodic inspection of swimming pools, spas, and hot tubs on any property other than one or two family residential property. This law also provides that no facility may be opened until a valid 'bonding and grounding' certificate and electrical certificate of compliance are issued. These provisions are intended to ensure the life safety of workers at and users of such facility. The effective date is February 9, 1999.

The required bonding and grounding certificate must verify the continuity and integrity of the bonding and grounding system of the pool. The electrical certificate of compliance must verify that all wiring located in or about the pool pump and associated electrical equipment complies with the electrical subcode.

The bonding and grounding certificate is required to be issued by a recognized electrical testing agency and is valid for five years from the date of issuance. The electrical certification of compliance is required to be issued annually by the enforcing agency upon completion of a satisfactory inspection of the facility and payment of a fee established by the enforcing agency's administrative costs.

-From the Construction Code Communicator, Winter 1998
"

"On December 11, 1998, Governor Christie Todd Whitman signed into law P.L. 1998,C,137 which requires the periodic inspection of swimming pools, spas, and hot tubs on any property other than one or two family residential property. This law also provides that no facility may be opened until a valid 'bonding and grounding' certificate and electrical certificate of compliance are issued. These provisions are intended to ensure the life safety of workers at and users of such facility. The effective date is February 9, 1999.

The required bonding and grounding certificate must verify the continuity and integrity of the bonding and grounding system of the pool. The electrical certificate of compliance must verify that all wiring located in or about the pool pump and associated electrical equipment complies with the electrical subcode.

The bonding and grounding certificate is required to be issued by a recognized electrical testing agency and is valid for five years from the date of issuance. The electrical certification of compliance is required to be issued annually by the enforcing agency upon completion of a satisfactory inspection of the facility and payment of a fee established by the enforcing agency's administrative costs.

-From the Construction Code Communicator, Winter 1998
"

We have a similar Statute here as well. We also have some community pools that were installed prior to the early 60s. These installations were not bonded, and do not require additional bonding. The inspection basically becomes a 'safety' inspection for these pools.

Status
Not open for further replies.