SJOOW cord in a downspout

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODonnell

I am looking at running architectural lighting fixtures for outside roof of the building. There are different levels and we want to keep the building from having an unsightly look of power cables when we need to change levels to distro the power in a daisy-chain. The installation of the fixtures is designed to be a portable setting so the look can be changed. The cable providing power to each fixture (color mixing LED- DMX controlled) is SJOOW for the outdoor useage. We want to run it in a 4 inch downspout that allows runoff of rain from one level to the other. Since the cable is rated for the oil, water and sunlight proof it gets wet no matter where it is. I can see no reason why this would not be allowed. Anyone see any reason why not? Please quote anything you might come up with. We are working off the 2013 NEC. Thanks!

david

I am looking at running architectural lighting fixtures for outside roof of the building. There are different levels and we want to keep the building from having an unsightly look of power cables when we need to change levels to distro the power in a daisy-chain. The installation of the fixtures is designed to be a portable setting so the look can be changed. The cable providing power to each fixture (color mixing LED- DMX controlled) is SJOOW for the outdoor useage. We want to run it in a 4 inch downspout that allows runoff of rain from one level to the other. Since the cable is rated for the oil, water and sunlight proof it gets wet no matter where it is. I can see no reason why this would not be allowed. Anyone see any reason why not? Please quote anything you might come up with. We are working off the 2013 NEC. Thanks!

Raceway. An enclosed channel of metal or nonmetallic materials designed expressly for holding wires, cables, or busbars, with additional functions as permitted in this Code. Raceways include, but are not limited to, rigid metal conduit, rigid nonmetallic conduit, intermediate metal conduit, liquidtight flexible conduit, flexible metallic tubing, flexible metal conduit, electrical nonmetallic tubing, electrical metallic tubing, underfloor raceways, cellular concrete floor raceways, cellular metal floor raceways, surface raceways, wireways, and busways.

400.8 Uses Not Permitted.
(6) Where installed in raceways, except as otherwise permitted in this Code

110.8 Wiring Methods.
Only wiring methods recognized as suitable are included in this Code. The recognized methods of wiring shall be permitted to be installed in any type of building or occupancy, except as otherwise provided in this Code.

Last edited:

ODonnell

Raceway. An enclosed channel of metal or nonmetallic materials designed expressly for holding wires, cables, or busbars, with additional functions as permitted in this Code. Raceways include, but are not limited to, rigid metal conduit, rigid nonmetallic conduit, intermediate metal conduit, liquidtight flexible conduit, flexible metallic tubing, flexible metal conduit, electrical nonmetallic tubing, electrical metallic tubing, underfloor raceways, cellular concrete floor raceways, cellular metal floor raceways, surface raceways, wireways, and busways.

400.8 Uses Not Permitted.
(6) Where installed in raceways, except as otherwise permitted in this Code

As defined a raceway is "designed expressly for holding wires, cables, or busbars..." The downspot is 4 inch PVC designed expressly for holding water. I see your point, but by the very definition I would think this would qualify as OK. It is not exposed to anything it is not rated to be exposed to and the PVC it would be in is definitely NOT designed for holding wires.

david

Using a downspot as a raceway would be no different than using the main sewer vent in a dwelling.
If somehow you could convince everyone here that the NEC had no clear language to prohibit it?s use good luck with the plumbing and building codes

ODonnell

That?s why I edited the response and added 110.8
just now saw that.
OK. so since the code does not say specifically it is OK, then it is not.
Also for clarity sake, this is only a 4 inch PVC going from 4 feet above to the level below, open on both ends. It is not dumping into the water system in any way. It is rain water.

Last edited:

david

just now saw that.
OK. so since the code does not say specifically it is OK, then it is not.
Also for clarity sake, this is only a 4 inch PVC going from 4 feet above to the level below, open on both ends. It is not dumping into the water system in any way. It is rain water.

Fair question
To be in compliance with the wiring methods, witch include raceways you have to use approved raceways, raceways in the NEC are not approved for rain water

Last edited:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Running SJx in a raceway is prohibited, but running it through a sheath for visual reasons or mechanical protection is not prohibited directly.
However the reasons for using flexible cord (including being expected to be moved) do not apply to the portion that is inside the downspout.
I would also worry about the cable catching leaves and other debris, with the cable being damaged by efforts to clear the blockage.

ODonnell

I would also worry about the cable catching leaves and other debris, with the cable being damaged by efforts to clear the blockage.
I wouldn't. unless the wind magically transported any type of debris up that high. nearest tree would probably be well over 100 feet away and thats visually seeing the tops of the trees.
Our plan has changed since I began this thread anyway. There is no need to hide a cable that way anymore. thanks for the input!

Status
Not open for further replies.