Toe Kick Waste Disposal Switch!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

480sparky

I am assuming that you are joking about the hack thing. But in case you aren't why would you consider it a hack job with NM right into the disposal? This is perfectly acceptible. The wall switch is the disconnecting means.

No, the only times I've seen NM run to a disposal is when the hack ran the NM right into the wiring compartment. Never used a connector through the proper opening. And just left the cover off.

steelersman

No, the only times I've seen NM run to a disposal is when the hack ran the NM right into the wiring compartment. Never used a connector through the proper opening. And just left the cover off.
Well you didn't elaborate that it was run into the compartment without a connector and cover not on. That's a little different than using the proper connector and putting the cover back on don't you think?
I'm sensing that you despise using NM period vs. a cord. :)

hillbilly

I'd call it a violation of 334.15(B).

I wouldn't, and neither do the inspectors around here.:smile:

If it's routed correctly and strapped, I don't consider it "necessary" that it needs protection from physical damage".
What kind of damage is going occur in a kitchen sink cabinet?

Just my pinion
steve

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I wouldn't, and neither do the inspectors around here.:smile:

If it's routed correctly and strapped, I don't consider it "necessary" that it needs protection from physical damage".
What kind of damage is going occur in a kitchen sink cabinet?

Just my pinion
steve

I totally agree however I always sleeve the nm in a piece of carflex to give it some protection and to look a bit neater.

steelersman

Interesting. Around here it is standard practice. No sleeving. Just tywrap it along the drain pipe and voila! you have a working disposal. Let's not be so prudent people. There is no danger of damaging the romex. Let's be realistic here.

On the note of protection from physical damage, why then is it acceptible to not sleeve the SE-U cable which is unfused from the load side of the meter base into the main panel? Perfectly acceptible but I'd certainly worry about that being damaged than I would a peice of romex under the kitchen sink.

hillbilly

Have you ever looked inside a sink cabinet? ;)

Only at other peoples houses.:grin:, and that's usually to install a disposal or a receptacle for a dishwasher.
Sometimes I go back to look again at the neat job that I've done.:grin:

As far as 334.30, I choose cable ties, usually about 6" apart.

steve

steelersman

Have you ever looked inside a sink cabinet? ;)

Yes and what I usually see are some various cleaning supplies. A little dishwashing detergent, some window cleaner, some sponges, maybe a bucket, some furniture polish and stuff like that. I've never seen anything that will damage the romex underneath the sink like sledge hammers or axes or knives or things of that nature, but if someone chooses to use their sink cabinet as a shed then so be it. The NEC can't dictate that. :)

480sparky

Yes and what I usually see are some various cleaning supplies. A little dishwashing detergent, some window cleaner, some sponges, maybe a bucket, some furniture polish and stuff like that. I've never seen anything that will damage the romex underneath the sink like sledge hammers or axes or knives or things of that nature, but if someone chooses to use their sink cabinet as a shed then so be it. The NEC can't dictate that. :)

What happens when the typical plumber gets under there to work? You know, the plumber we all know that went to apprentice school and the first thing they taught him was, "
emoticon-0183-swear.gif
the electricians!"?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
What happens when the typical plumber gets under there to work? You know, the plumber we all know that went to apprentice school and the first thing they taught him was, "
emoticon-0183-swear.gif
the electricians!"?

What if? Come on Ken we can't solve the world's problems/ What if the painter unstraps out conduit coming down a wall so he can paint and doesn't put it back? What if that same plumber takes out a water heater and installs another one and wires it back with the 12/2 that fed it?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
When I was doing dwelling units we never used cord and plug connections the GDs and DWs would be hard wired.

If I was doing them today I would probably go cord and plug connected.
I, too, have never installed cord'n'plugs for those appliances, although I have serviced a few disposers that were that way, but I've never even seen a dishwasher so wired.

Status
Not open for further replies.