New to the commercial game

Status
Not open for further replies.

RLyons

So I have crossed to the dark side and begun my journey into the commercial end of things. I want to start familiarizing myself to the commercial specific codes as unlike my previous position it is encouraged that I learn these things.

So I am currently bending and hanging emt, pulling wires, making junctions and would like to start familiarizing myself on the basics. I've been thumbing through the 2008 but figured some of you guys would be able to point out the key sections I should be studying up on and understanding.

One thing that brought up my curiosity was while landing wires in a disconnect. Disconnect was bonded and there was a 4x4 nippled out of the bottom which had a shunt circuit running through it and was also bonded. I needed to run a shunt trip from the disco breaker through the nipple to the 4x4 and was told a ground was required to pass through the nipple even though both the disconnect and the 4x4 were already bonded.

stuartdmc

One of the most important basic aspects of electricity is the bonding and grounding of the electrical system, don't take it lightly. Another one is the connections made to conductors. The number one cause of fires in electricity is "Resistance" (learn it) the flow of electricity when you prohibit the flow and you have heat. (see my post today showing the photos and remnants caused by a lose connection.

Question, Are you sure you want to crossover?

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
So I have crossed to the dark side and begun my journey into the commercial end of things. I want to start familiarizing myself to the commercial specific codes as unlike my previous position it is encouraged that I learn these things.

So I am currently bending and hanging emt, pulling wires, making junctions and would like to start familiarizing myself on the basics. I've been thumbing through the 2008 but figured some of you guys would be able to point out the key sections I should be studying up on and understanding.

The key things are do what your boss or jouneyman tells you to do and keep asking questions here.

One thing that brought up my curiosity was while landing wires in a disconnect. Disconnect was bonded and there was a 4x4 nippled out of the bottom which had a shunt circuit running through it and was also bonded. I needed to run a shunt trip from the disco breaker through the nipple to the 4x4 and was told a ground was required to pass through the nipple even though both the disconnect and the 4x4 were already bonded.
I'm lost here. What is a 4x4? What is the application?

Also get in the habit of making a distinction between a Grounded Conductor and an Equipment Grounding Conductor.

John120/240

The key things are do what your boss or jouneyman tells you to do and keep asking questions here.

I'm lost here. What is a 4x4? What is the application?

Also get in the habit of making a distinction between a Grounded Conductor and an Equipment Grounding Conductor.

What is a 4x4 ? Usually a 4" sq box or a 1900 box, plus I am sure other regional names. Double Ditto on the Grounded Conductor & Equipment Grounding Conductor distinction.

jeremysterling

Read and reread Art 250. Then read it again. I think Mike Holt has a book dedicated to Art 250.

As far as putting a green wire through the nipple from the disc to the 4sq, the company I work for has a policy that requires it even if the NEC does not.

RLyons

I've seen the results of resistance first hand on many occasion even if I didn't fully understand it.

I decided to cross over because of Opportunity, Money and challenge.

4x4 is a 4 sq. which is nippled off of a elevator disconnect for the fire shunt trip.

There has already been an instance where if what I was instructed to do was explained I could have avoided some rework.

There is a couple guys who are good at explaining things but the journeymen seem a little busy for my questions which is why I'll end up asking some of my questions here.

stuartdmc

I've seen the results of resistance first hand on many occasion even if I didn't fully understand it.

I decided to cross over because of Opportunity, Money and challenge.

4x4 is a 4 sq. which is nippled off of a elevator disconnect for the fire shunt trip.

There has already been an instance where if what I was instructed to do was explained I could have avoided some rework.

There is a couple guys who are good at explaining things but the journeymen seem a little busy for my questions which is why I'll end up asking some of my questions here.

RLyons,
Have you ever heard of concentric knockouts? If not than look it up! that may be why your foreman is asking for redundancy in the bonding, Word of advice, keep your eyes and ears open and your mouth closed, you'll learn alot, no offense.

kwired

Electron manager
This nipple in general (NEC only, some locals rules could state otherwise) doesn't require an equipment grounding conductor be pulled through it. The nipple does need bonded as does the 4x4 box, and may or may not be allowed be bonded via standard locknuts depending on other installation conditions.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
RLyons,
Have you ever heard of concentric knockouts? If not than look it up! that may be why your foreman is asking for redundancy in the bonding, Word of advice, keep your eyes and ears open and your mouth closed, you'll learn alot, no offense.

The concentric KO do not necessarily require extra bonding bushing if the metallic box is listed per UL.

Sometimes you have to keep talking and keep asking questions to learn. You really can't rely on what you foreman says.

"the listener has to smart not the speaker"

growler

Commercial work is a very broad field. Most companies specialize in certain areas of commercial work. If you are doing big box stores you ill not be as interested in codes that pertain to restaurants (commercial kitchens).

So what does the company normally do? Big box stores, schools, hospitals, office buildings, malls or restaurants?

kwired

Electron manager
Commercial work is a very broad field. Most companies specialize in certain areas of commercial work. If you are doing big box stores you ill not be as interested in codes that pertain to restaurants (commercial kitchens).

So what does the company normally do? Big box stores, schools, hospitals, office buildings, malls or restaurants?
But a big store like a WalMart will have a lot of what the big box does, plus the kitchen, plus refrigeration equipment, and maybe even a commercial garage though it typically would be a minor service garage.

donaldelectrician

Just a heads up on commercial work .

I have seen more than once , a contractor not aware or whatever and screw up on the ACIS ratting of Switch Gear Breakers , when they start in Commercial Work .

Don

Last edited:

RLyons

With 40 years old coming up fast I've learned to keep my mouth closed and do as I'm told. I do like to ask a lot of questions which I'm sure higher ups don't always have time for. Being the new guy I'm not sure who knows what, or how long they've been doing it so needless to say there might be some trust issues :lol:

Coworkers are more concerned with knowing if I'm a temp or a direct hire than wanting to know what I am capable of. I feel this company has come across many people who say they can do more than they actually can. There are times I'm not sure if I should say "Yeah I've done this before on this project" as the majority of my work was residential even though I had the honor of working on some larger and interesting commercial solar jobs.

The current project I'm on is a hospital addition/OR expansion. This company is not new 30+ years and do commercial electrical, fire alarm and infrastructure cabling.
I appreciate any feedback towards furthering my career and I don't get offended easily.

Thanks

kwired

Electron manager
With 40 years old coming up fast I've learned to keep my mouth closed and do as I'm told. I do like to ask a lot of questions which I'm sure higher ups don't always have time for. Being the new guy I'm not sure who knows what, or how long they've been doing it so needless to say there might be some trust issues :lol:

Coworkers are more concerned with knowing if I'm a temp or a direct hire than wanting to know what I am capable of. I feel this company has come across many people who say they can do more than they actually can. There are times I'm not sure if I should say "Yeah I've done this before on this project" as the majority of my work was residential even though I had the honor of working on some larger and interesting commercial solar jobs.

The current project I'm on is a hospital addition/OR expansion. This company is not new 30+ years and do commercial electrical, fire alarm and infrastructure cabling.
I appreciate any feedback towards furthering my career and I don't get offended easily.

Thanks
Hospital can cover a pretty wide variety of code articles.

Status
Not open for further replies.