Receptacle location

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

680.34 Receptacles shall not be located less than 6' from the inside walls of a pool. Does this include the twist lock GFCI protected recep that is used for the pool pump as well? Thanks.

nizak

My question is . Does the receptacle that the pool pump is being plugged into have to be a minimum of 6' from the inside wall of the pool? Let's say that the pump receptacle is 4' away from the inside wall, is that a violation? Thanks

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
My question is . Does the receptacle that the pool pump is being plugged into have to be a minimum of 6' from the inside wall of the pool? Let's say that the pump receptacle is 4' away from the inside wall, is that a violation? Thanks

As I read the article I would say yes it does need to be 6' away.

electricmanscott

To address the question that was asked by the OP, yes you are correct. But you are looking in the wrong section. As mentioned 680.22 A 1 is where you want to be.

SEO

Steve does not setion III trump section II if this is a storable pool? I would say that it makes sense to follow 680.22(A)(1) but then why add 680.34?

Dennis 680.34 is for storable pools and the change in the 2008 code allows a receptacle to be a min of 6' from the inside walls of the pool. In the 2005 code the receptacle had to be a min of 10'.

Section 680.22 (A)(1) is for receptacles for the circulation system. These receptacles shall be a min of 10' from the inside walls unless they meet the conditions listed than this measurement can be reduced to 6'. (Permanently Installed Pool)

electricmanscott

Section 680.22 (A)(1) is for receptacles for the circulation system. These receptacles shall be a min of 10' from the inside walls unless they meet the conditions listed than this measurement can be reduced to 6'. (Permanently Installed Pool)

This really make no sense. You can only have a receptacle for the pump in this location (6 feet from pool) IF it meets the criteria yet you are allowed to have a general purpose receptacle in this location without any special restrictions.

SEO

This really make no sense. You can only have a receptacle for the pump in this location (6 feet from pool) IF it meets the criteria yet you are allowed to have a general purpose receptacle in this location without any special restrictions.

I thought the same thing but the code making panels must have something in mind. I haven't looked at the ROP's.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Dennis 680.34 is for storable pools

I know it is for storable pools. I have to assume that is what the OP has but we don't know for sure. This is why I asked if 680.34 trumped 680.22 IF it were a storable pool.

My point here is that section III does not mention pump receptacles it simple states receptacles. When I read receptacles I take it to mean all receptacles whether it be 240v, 120v, twist lock, etc.

First question is this a storable pool? The OP mentions plugging a cord into a recep. This seems appears to communicate that it might be a storable pool.

I agree with you that your interpretation makes sense but I don't see the words in the code to support it. The only mention of recep. is 680.34 other than 680.32 which calls for GFCI protection.

They should have never put art. 680.34 as it adds nothing to what art. 680.22 has stated other than to confuse things. 680.30 says to use Parts I and II. 680.34 does not mention what the outlet is to be used for it just states receptacles. This is why I say this article overrules anything in section II

SEO

Dennis I think the confusion started when section 680.34 in the 08 NEC was changed to allow receptacles to be no less than 6' from the inside walls of the pool instead of 10'.

Section 680.22 (A)(1) was also changed in the 08 NEC to allow other receptacles to be no less than 6' from the inside walls of the pool however they want the circulation equipment that is cord and plug connected to plug into a single locking receptacle of a grounding type and GFCI protected. It seems that the code making panel is more concerned with the circulation equipment of a permanently installed pool.

Permanently Installed Pools per section 680.20 shall comply with the provisions of Part I and Part II.

Storable Pools shall comply per section 680.30 with the provisions of Part I and Part III.

Therefore the rules in Part III cannot trump or override the rules in Part II.

electricmanscott

680.34 Receptacles shall not be located less than 6' from the inside walls of a pool. Does this include the twist lock GFCI protected recep that is used for the pool pump as well? Thanks.

This would make me think it is not a storable pool but we really don't know.

I know it is for storable pools. I have to assume that is what the OP has but we don't know for sure. This is why I asked if 680.34 trumped 680.22
First question is this a storable pool? The OP mentions plugging a cord into a recep. This seems appears to communicate that it might be a storable pool.

I agree with you that your interpretation makes sense but I don't see the words in the code to support it. The only mention of recep. is 680.34 other than 680.32 which calls for GFCI protection.

I just did an above ground pool last week and passed the inspection no problem.

The pump motor outlet can't be within 6' and it had to be twistlock. Normally, the pool installers install the motor at a distance where the cord will reach 6' anyway. If it doesn't,simply drag the motor away from pool a bit cause the flexible hose attached to the motor that extends to pool is long enough. I also install a convenience outlet on the same board. GFI of course!! This outlet can't be within 6' also. Perfect set up. Done and inspector approves.

Hope this helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.