motor disconnect as controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

JES2727

Can a fused disconnect serve as the only means to start and stop a 5 hp motor provided separate overload protection is installed?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Is the disconnect rated for both make and break of the motor load?

I think the fuses themselves can be the overload protection if the appropriate type fuse is used and sized correctly. But I am not sure of this.

JES2727

It is a standard 30 amp disconnect. I'm sure it's rated for the horsepower. The motor runs 24/7.
The disconnect currently supplies a manual motor starter which provides the o/l protection. After a power outage it's necessary to raise the ceiling tile and push the start button. That's a problem, due to the location ( it's a clean room). My idea is to eliminate the starter and install a stand-alone o/l relay in it's place.

Jim W in Tampa

It is a standard 30 amp disconnect. I'm sure it's rated for the horsepower. The motor runs 24/7.
The disconnect currently supplies a manual motor starter which provides the o/l protection. After a power outage it's necessary to raise the ceiling tile and push the start button. That's a problem, due to the location ( it's a clean room). My idea is to eliminate the starter and install a stand-alone o/l relay in it's place.
Why remove it ? Could you just paralel another or relay.

Status
Not open for further replies.