What brand of panel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
usually siemens, no special reason, they've been as good as anything else and the price isn't bad. Years ago I used a lot of bryant and later regreted because of problems with breakers. Some people around here like Cutler-Hamer but I don't really see why.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
What is your prefered brand of panels for residential installs? And why?
Honestly, whichever costs the least, unless a preference is stated by the customer. If it's an upgrade and the existing equipment is relatively new, I'll offer the option of using the same brand and reusing the breakers.

I usually end up using Cutler-Hammer BR or Square D Homeline. The blue and orange stores often carry 'contractor packs' with a 2p-50, a 2p-30, and six 1p-20's, or a similar assortment, which saves a bit of money.

c2500

I am a Cutler Hammer CH fan. I like the lifetime warranty on the breakers. CH Br's or Siemens would be the next choice. My least favorite would be a GE..though I do use them sometimes.

c2500

scwirenut

I mainly use Cutler Hammer BR. second choice would be HomeLine. my only dislike with Square D is the KO's are almost impossible to knock out. getting that main breaker tab out the panel almost destroys them. If the CH style breaker had trip notification like the QO, it would be the bomb......

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
For a service upgrades, GE. Reason being many of the old homes around here are wired in AC cable. GE panels are galvanized not painted. IMO an AC connector on a galvanized panel makes a much better EGC path than a locknut that just cuts through the paint in a few spots on some other panels.

CopperTone

Siemens - the neutral/ground bars have pre backed out screws with a box head - other brands you have to back every screw out then tighen it with your wire under it. other brands have a flat head screw witch sometimes strips when backing out the screw cause it was factory installed to tight.

It is a time and wrist saver. Plus I like to always use siemens so I always have plenty of breakers on hand.

satcom

We used CH Classic for years until they changed the Buss the old panels held the breakers in tight, the new panels the breakers fall out, they took years building trust and making what i considered the best panel in the industry and destroyed the trust for us, we now use siemans or SQD QO.

macmikeman

I ditched Cuttler Br panels due to problems with their combo afci breakers I was having and switched to Seimens. Cuttler BR panels were twice as fast to wire, unscrewing terminals and all. Seimens combo ark fault breakers are the bomb.

Status
Not open for further replies.