goof rings

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I suspect that any provisions in the code limiting gaps between drywall and box do not apply where the drywall covers the rear surface of the mudding, even if it does not come all the way to the edge of the mudring opening.
If the hole in the drywall goes beyond the edges of the underlying box too, then you might have to patch the drywall.
I am not sure what you are referring to as goof rings.

darekelec

314.20 In Wall or Ceiling. In walls or ceilings with a surface of concrete, tile, gypsum, plaster, or other noncombustible material, boxes employing a flush type cover or face plate shall be installed so that the front edge of the box, plaster ring,extension ring, or listed extender will not be set back of the finished surface more than 6 mm 1/4in.).
In walls and ceilings constructed of wood or other combustible surface material, boxes, plaster rings, extension rings or listed extenders shall be flush with the finished surface or project therefrom.

in 2008 nec

John120/240

Goof rings-Thats a new term. We always called them fire rings, spark rings, or box extenders. A typical use for me would be where you have a combustible surface between the outlet box and the receptacle; example receptacles installed in kitchen cabinets.

kwired

Electron manager
It is plastic- I was led to believe this fixes problems with the 1/4" violation of 314.20

I see this would be one of the listed extenders. Too lazy to grab the code book :roll::dunce:

It is a product designed and listed for the purpose, that happens to be non metallic, if you prefer there are metallic extenders as well but they are not as popular. No specific design is mentioned in code book, just the function that must be performed.

Status
Not open for further replies.