Above ground pool question

Status
Not open for further replies.

subman

Excuse me for asking but I dont have my code book with me. Its been a while since I wired an above ground pool.

This pool requires a seperate circuit for the pool motor(20 amp) and I have to run power for a convienance outlet ( no outlet in the area).

Can I run the power for the pool motor and the convience outlet in the same conduit? I'm remembering that you can't.

Also, looking for ideas on how to layout the receptacle's I have to install.

Thanks for the help.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If this is defined as a storable pool then there are very few code requirements. I don't see anything in art 680 part III that would require a separate conduit for the equipment and the required pool receptacles.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The depth of the pool is 52 inches

Now you have to wire the pool as if it were an inground pool. You need to do your perimeter bonding around the pool and bond all metal objects within 5' of the pool. Much more complicated. I think the section you were thinking about may be pool lights --you cannot have circuits in the same conduit as the load side of a gfci.

680.23(F)(3)

(3) Conductors. Conductors on the load side of a groundfault
circuit interrupter or of a transformer, used to comply
with the provisions of 680.23(A)(8), shall not occupy raceways,
boxes, or enclosures containing other conductors unless
one of the following conditions applies:
(1) The other conductors are protected by ground-fault circuit
interrupters.
(2) The other conductors are grounding conductors.
(3) The other conductors are supply conductors to a feedthrough-
type ground-fault circuit interrupter.
(4) Ground-fault circuit interrupters shall be permitted in a
panelboard that contains circuits protected by other
than ground-fault circuit interrupters.

FREEBALL

I just got done an AG pool and did the equipotential bonding make sure that the metal upright rails of the pool and the top rail are connected by metal or that the installer uses aluminum tape over the plastic brackets to create a continuous metal to metal connection. The pool I did came with aluminum tape and the installer didn't install it and all of the metal was not making contact. When he was asked about it he said he has never done this, but this was in the directions. Also the lugs for the bonding need to be direct burial. The skimmer plate usually comes with a lug. Best wishes

PS I also ran both my convenience outlet and motor circuit in same conduit. Fed from a dead front GFI for the pump and a standard feed thru. in the basement. Ran conduit from panel to GFI's and conduit from there on out, 3/4 pvc is best 1/2 is hard to pull and it only takes a small amount of dirt to make your day hell if it gets in 1/2.

Status
Not open for further replies.