5-15R vs. 5-20R - Specifically, What's the DIfference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smalltime

So what's the difference between a 15 A receptacle and a 20 A receptacle? I know the 20 A will require a 20 A breaker and 12 ga wire minimum and that you can put 15 A recepts on a 20 A circuit, but what's the design/construction difference between the two?

More contact area?
Better blade retention?
More cycles?

Where might I find some documentation of the different requirements?
NEMA doc?

Thanks.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The contact area and contact pressure will be whatever allows them to pass UL testing with a load of 20A instead of 15A. Usually more metal.
The terminals will accommodate larger wire size.
And both the plastic face and the contact geometry are different to allow both orientations of the hot blade.

smalltime

The contact area and contact pressure will be whatever allows them to pass UL testing with a load of 20A instead of 15A. Usually more metal.
The terminals will accommodate larger wire size.
And both the plastic face and the contact geometry are different to allow both orientations of the hot blade.

I knew about the blade orientation and larger wire gauge accommodation. I was more asking about what's behind the plastic.

I was thinking larger contact area, better blade retention, more insertion cycles but I'm looking to confirm my thoughts.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I doubt there would be any difference in retention and insertion cycles just from the current change.
That would be more likely to go with the difference between common and spec or hospital grade.
Now if you can get a cheap 15 and compare to a higher grade 20 because that is all that is stocked, then anything could change.

smalltime

Doing some more digging. UL 498 specifies construction performance (e.g.: durability, electrical safety, and fire-resistance) for NEMA connectors.

Maybe there's not that much of a difference behind the curtain...
http://iaeimagazine.org/magazine/2013/09/16/a-journey-back-to-basics-with-receptacles/

But this runs contrary to a guy that I knew about 8 years ago that was building power strips and distribution units... He mentioned better plug retention with 20 A recepts.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
All 15 amp duplex receptacles are rated to carry 20 amps so the interior materials should be the same as an equal grade 20 amps device. IMO the more expensive or better grade (i.e.-Specification Grade, Hospital Grade) will last longer than the 59 cent cheapo..

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I knew about the blade orientation and larger wire gauge accommodation. I was more asking about what's behind the plastic.

I was thinking larger contact area, better blade retention, more insertion cycles but I'm looking to confirm my thoughts.
Behind the plastic they are the same. I've busted the face off a couple to show people.

user 100

Behind the plastic they are the same. I've busted the face off a couple to show people.

I have discovered the same- on certain brands 5-15's you can actually see the tandem accommodation for a 20 amp cord cap off to side just by peering into the neutral and hot slots. Manufacturers obviously do this to save money by not having to make an extra set of guts exclusively for a 5-15.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I have discovered the same- on certain brands 5-15's you can actually see the tandem accommodation for a 20 amp cord cap off to side just by peering into the neutral and hot slots. Manufacturers obviously do this to save money by not having to make an extra set of guts exclusively for a 5-15.
Here we are agreeing again. Dang! Do you have a copy of your birth certificate? Are you sure you are a native Texan?

smalltime

To verify your (and others) findings and to satisfy my own curiosity, I took an Eaton Spec 5-15R and 5-20R and tore the faces off.

I don't see any difference and indeed, the 5-15R has the accommodations for a 20 A plug.

Thanks for helping me out on this one!

Attachments

• 5-15R and 5-20R.jpg
    5-15R and 5-20R.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 3

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
To verify your (and others) findings and to satisfy my own curiosity, I took an Eaton Spec 5-15R and 5-20R and tore the faces off.

I don't see any difference and indeed, the 5-15R has the accommodations for a 20 A plug.

Thanks for helping me out on this one!

Your photos make the difference quite obvious - More profit for everyone on the 20A since they cost more!!!

kwired

Electron manager
Your photos make the difference quite obvious - More profit for everyone on the 20A since they cost more!!!
If anything they need to re-tool/set up for a run of 20 amp versions and likely do not produce as many 20's as 15's so the rules of supply and demand help set the price as well. Same may go for putting a 6-15/6-20 face on it.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
If anything they need to re-tool/set up for a run of 20 amp versions and likely do not produce as many 20's as 15's so the rules of supply and demand help set the price as well. Same may go for putting a 6-15/6-20 face on it.

what "re-tool/set-up"?? It's one plastic piece with or without an additional slot. If you really think that should make a price difference, the 15 amp receptacles should cost more because they require more plastic.

mgookin

what "re-tool/set-up"?? It's one plastic piece with or without an additional slot. If you really think that should make a price difference, the 15 amp receptacles should cost more because they require more plastic.

As a manufacturer I can tell you that tooling costs and lead times for brass parts can be considerable. Add to that shutting down production and changing the line to switch between 15A and 20A production and it's more equitable to just run them both with the same parts. Saving a gram of brass on a receptacle is not worth it.

kwired

Electron manager
Isn't final production getting a different face for a 15 amp then a 20 amp? Something has to be changed in the production line or you will not get a different product out the end.

Why do 4 foot fluorescent lamps cost much less then 3 foot lamps? Mass production and sales of the 4 foot lamp compared to 3 foot lamp would be my guess even though they use same ends and there is more glass, gas, phosphor coating, etc in the 4 foot lamp. They likely make 4 foot lamps most shifts, but when making three foot lamps they need to spend time setting up not only for making the different lamp but also need to use different packaging materials, and other items will have changes from what is "normal".

smalltime

I made an inquiry to a well respected manufacturer of electrical wiring devices:

"I have a question about 5-15R and 5-20R 125 V recepts. At one point I was told that 20 A recepts use a larger contact area and have better spring retention over 15 A recepts. Is that the case? Both carry the UL 498 listing. I tore the faces off of a couple and found no difference internally. In fact, the 15 A that I tore down would have accommodated a 20 A plug were it not for the faceplate. Is there a difference? If so, how so? Does that apply across all grades?"

The response back from the manufacturer:

"The spring retention would not vary from 15 to 20A. The only difference, beside the configuration off the plug that would fit with each receptacle, is the 20A devices are rated for a use with 20A devices."

I read this to mean that there is no difference between the two recepts internally.

Thanks everybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.