Bi-Lingual labeling

Status
Not open for further replies.

e57

If a matching label came with the Service, Panel, Can, I really don't see what the problem is...
Most do now... I know CH does.

Okay, I'm game. What's native-American for Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupter?
Depends on the Tribe. I could not tell you - and since we forced them not to speak their languages long before Edison and Tesla had it out - I doubt they could either.

nakulak said:
If you are speaking english its only because its the language that gun toting immigrants (boat people) brought over here and forced on the natives they didn't kill. And the only reason south americans speak spanish is because gun toting boat people forced spanish on the natives that they didn't kill. So the native language here is/are the dialects of the native Americans, any other language, including english, was brought here by boat people and immigrants, and it would be nice to keep this in mind when disdaining the use another language by immigrants coming into the country now.
Well said! But would add that most of the western states there is a higher propensity toward Spanish of a dialect common to Mexico (They are different in SPAIN) due to the fact that most of those states were once part of Mexico. And before that owned by Spain.

History is written by the winner....

M%C3%A9xico_Divisi%C3%B3n_Pol%C3%ADtica-Rep%C3%BAblica_Central.png

I only assume some of the Canadians would have a problem with demanding only one language - the arguement would be which one.

Karl H

Silencio ranas; que el agua es poco?!

In other words: Getting all worked up over something insignificant!

No, I'm just saying learn to speak Spanish. It will make your life a
whole lot easier when working in construction. If the majority of the
workers aren't Hispanic in your area, that's going to change.
Honestly I'm glad it's Spanish and not Chinese. Chinese looks
very difficult to learn.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I don't have a problem with having things like circuit breaker panel directories, fire alarm manual stations, etc. labeled in both English and other languages. However, I do have a problem if I'm required to speak another language in order to communicate with people, especially on a construction job. There could be life safety issues and liabilities involved if you aren't able to communicate with a worker (especially in an emergency situation) due to a language barrier. A know a lot of contractors stop by the roadsides and pick up day workers for various jobs, but if they don't leave someone on the job that speaks English IMHO they are leaving themselves open for any number of issues.

While I'm on the subject of day workers, the other issue I have with this is tax liability. I'd like to believe that the majority of us here in the forum run legitimate businesses and pay our income taxes accordingly. But, the rules we live by don't seem to be the same rules for these day workers. From what I've witnessed a lot of these day workers get paid in cash and pay no income taxes. I'm all for finding ways to save a few bucks on the price and cost of a job but this isn't one of them. (Hope I didn't get too political here).

RICK NAPIER

On the subject of language in the work place a friend of ours is Spanish and studying to be a Psychologist in Spain. She joined an exchange program that would send to New York City. She was very apprehensive since her Engish is not that good. Well she has been there a month and says she does not need english every one speaks spanish in the hospital.

Jim W in Tampa

I don't have a problem with having things like circuit breaker panel directories, fire alarm manual stations, etc. labeled in both English and other languages. However, I do have a problem if I'm required to speak another language in order to communicate with people, especially on a construction job. There could be life safety issues and liabilities involved if you aren't able to communicate with a worker (especially in an emergency situation) due to a language barrier. A know a lot of contractors stop by the roadsides and pick up day workers for various jobs, but if they don't leave someone on the job that speaks English IMHO they are leaving themselves open for any number of issues.

While I'm on the subject of day workers, the other issue I have with this is tax liability. I'd like to believe that the majority of us here in the forum run legitimate businesses and pay our income taxes accordingly. But, the rules we live by don't seem to be the same rules for these day workers. From what I've witnessed a lot of these day workers get paid in cash and pay no income taxes. I'm all for finding ways to save a few bucks on the price and cost of a job but this isn't one of them. (Hope I didn't get too political here).

The kind that hire off the side of roads are putting everyone in danger. First off they are uninsured, no workers comp if they get hurt. This could result in the owner of the property getting sued. Also they might very well be on drugs or criminals. That also puts all others on the job site at risk. Not speaking english is rude , if you like this country enough to live and work here then learn it. If i move to there country they would want same. Don't mind them wanting jobs but speak english.

As long as you label in English first, it makes no difference what other language in addition to English the label reads. The fact is that most qualified electricians speak English but to avoid confusion for the homeowner who may have to turn off a circuit in an emergency, makes only sense to label also in the homeowners primary language if possible.

peter d

One monkey wrench in the gears is the fact that illiteracy is a big problem in 3rd world countries, including Mexico. So it doesn't really matter what language you label something in if it can't be read.

Jim W in Tampa

How as an electrician are you to know who the first owner is ? And never mind the next owner. I wired over 75 homes that i knowed were sold to Cubans. Simple reason being i do not and will not learn others while i live in the USA. Out os that only 1 could not speak english. Went thru there 12 year old daughter to solve all problems and i am fine with that.
That space is far too small to even get started on this.

LawnGuyLandSparky

The kind that hire off the side of roads are putting everyone in danger.

Putting others in danger for higher profits is very big these days.

First off they are uninsured, no workers comp if they get hurt.

The technicality here is that they're not employees. They're day laborers, or independant contractors. Conversely, some feel that independant contractors of this type don't meet enough of the definitions to be considered such.

To further confuse the matter, the IRS and the Labor Departments are not the same.

This could result in the owner of the property getting sued.

Property owners could get sued by a contractor's bona-fide employee as well. And throw in the management company, the GC, and the manufacturer of whatever tool or piece of equipment or item was involved or within eyesight...

Also they might very well be on drugs or criminals.

Which no employee of a contractor has ever been found to be...

That also puts all others on the job site at risk. Not speaking english is rude , if you like this country enough to live and work here then learn it. If i move to there country they would want same. Don't mind them wanting jobs but speak english.

Of course I was playing devil's advocate here, just repeating the excuses I've heard over and over again to defend what is really, in my opinion, indefensible.

Status
Not open for further replies.