I love getting high!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hurk27

You have seen triplex marked with that info? I never have.

yep I know, Tuesday out comes the camera, I know it's marked but not sure what it is:-? I have to admit, I never looked to see if it is XHHW or what ever, just remember seeing the size conductor on it. But we have a bunch of this stuff in our yard at work (yes we install allot of it), so I'm going to snap some pic's of it, and try to get the labeling on it. I know when we get it on a reel it has a paper tag on it, just never looked at the tag:rolleyes:

You know URD is not listed in table 310.13(A) either but we use it for allot of underground runs to accessory buildings, we just don't bring it inside.
If I remember right Charlie once said we can use URD but we just cant bring it into a building.?

ericsherman37

The amazing thing is you went out when it was 55 deg. Around here that would be considered below the freezing point and potentially life threatining.

Nine times out of ten when I get to do bucket work it's 55 degrees out.... or less.... AND windy.... AND raining sideways.... AND usually there's a tall, steep cliff plunging into the raging Pacific Ocean somewhere uncomfortably close to the bucket truck.

And I have a tendency to smack my cold fingers with tools by accident. Worst... pain... ever.

iwire

Staff member
If I remember right Charlie once said we can use URD but we just cant bring it into a building.?

No, that was what Charlie said about USE. (Which is in Table 310.13) but we can't use 'URD' for anything under the NEC (I understand it is done all the time)

Charlie said:
XLPE is not a NEC insulation type. URD with XLPE on it and without USE on it is not permitted under the rules of the NEC.
I agree 100%. XLPE is cross linked polyethylene and USE is underground residential distribution. We use a lot of Type USE cable and most of it is XLPE and not duel rated or listed cable. :)

From here Direct Burial Conductor

Last edited:

mivey

yep I know, Tuesday out comes the camera, I know it's marked but not sure what it is:-? I have to admit, I never looked to see if it is XHHW or what ever, just remember seeing the size conductor on it. But we have a bunch of this stuff in our yard at work (yes we install allot of it), so I'm going to snap some pic's of it, and try to get the labeling on it. I know when we get it on a reel it has a paper tag on it, just never looked at the tag:rolleyes:

You know URD is not listed in table 310.13(A) either but we use it for allot of underground runs to accessory buildings, we just don't bring it inside.
I'll try to remember and look in the utility barn next week but who knows what I'll be able to remember by next week.

I know it did not used to be marked but maybe they have changed...just haven't paid any attention.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Bob,
I see your point that the unmarked triplex is a violation. I still see no issue and would never tag it if I was doing an inspection, assuming proper installation and size.

Dnkldorf

I'd like to know what the homeowner does for a living?

He fixed his own "shorted" triplex?

I can't see the HO doing this live.

480sparky

I'd like to know what the homeowner does for a living?

He fixed his own "shorted" triplex?

I can't see the HO doing this live.

The whole farm is on a pole with a disconnect that can shut everything down. So he didn't fix it live. He just shut it off, as he did when I was there restringing it.

Doug S.

I was going to PM, but thought your reply might benefit others.
Maybe this is a HIGHjack? ;)

I have been curious about those types of lifts for some time.

How do they trailer? ( Your van is a 3/4 ton? )

How is the setup time? ( Would it be worth it for lot lighting? )

How are they for rock and roll / in the wind? ( They look pretty sturdy? )

Thanks,
Doug S.

480sparky

I was going to PM, but thought your reply might benefit others.
Maybe this is a HIGHjack? ;).

Leave the comedy to the professionals, thank you very much.

I have been curious about those types of lifts for some time.

How do they trailer? ( Your van is a 3/4 ton? ).

No problems. Yes.. 3/4 ton

How is the setup time? ( Would it be worth it for lot lighting? ).

Ideal for lot lighting. They're designed more for flat level ground anyway. Most only take a minute or two to set up. This one in particular is self-leveling. Handier than those that aren't, but even the manual ones don't take too long once you get the hang of it.

How are they for rock and roll / in the wind? ( They look pretty sturdy? ).

The same as a bucket truck.

mivey

You have seen triplex marked with that info? I never have.
I'll try to remember and look in the utility barn next week but who knows what I'll be able to remember by next week.

I know it did not used to be marked but maybe they have changed...just haven't paid any attention.
I forgot to report back. Oddly enough, one spool of triplex was marked, one wasn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.