Employed by Orange or Blue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hardworkingstiff

It is that bad. Last year was the "ride it our year". This year has seen no improvement and in fact it is worse. I've been talkng to a ton of people, gc's and ec's, it is dead here. There is just no work and what work there is pays crap. You've all seen everybody posting bid results.

I'm about to turn 40 and I am far worse off than I was at 30. I've got 18 years of self employment behind me, most pretty succesful, but the last year and a half has essentialy left me just about broke. I am just about to start using my "emergency" money that I have been saving for years. The road I am on is leading me into a situation where if I were to continue I will spend the rest of my life digging out.

So, it's time. I've always known that sooner or later I wouldn't be able to work like I do now as I got older and it would be tougher to compete with the younger guys and that I didn't really want to do this forever. I didn't think it would be this soon but it is what it is.

I am not really that bummed about it. The thought of showing up to work in a heated/air conditoned clean space and just working my hours has some serious appeal after 18 years of more or less "always" working. That and a paycheck I can count on coupled with some sidework, I can forsee a decent furture.

Thanks for the replies guys. :)

I'm sorry about your situation Scott and wish you the best of luck.

This post could be the sign that things are about to get better. You see, Scott has often posted he will take a job at a lower price to keep working. If he (and others that think that way) move on to greener pastures, that will lower the number of qualified contractors to perform the work available. The contractors left standing may be able to eek out a living until things can get better.

Just trying to look at any bright side of a bad situation.

bradleyelectric

It is what it is Scott. There are worse things in life then climate control, a pay check and an active license. My buddies wife works at Lowes. A retirement accound and ESOP. She has switched from full time to part time and back also.

ItsHot

I don't care to buy from these places, but still sometimes do. I can't imagine having to work there! Best of luck to you Scott! Expect the economy only to get worse with what has taken place in the last week!!:mad:

hardworkingstiff

I don't care to buy from these places, but still sometimes do.
I buy there anytime they want to give something away. I like the self-service and the employees are mostly friendly and helpful.
I can't imagine having to work there!
I can and it's probably part of my future (I still have money put away but it's becoming a smaller and smaller pie). I believe if you are going to work for someone, HD or Lowes are not bad places to be. With Scott's ability and good sense, I can see him becoming a manager before construction completely recovers.
Best of luck to you Scott! Expect the economy only to get worse with what has taken place in the last week!!:mad:
Yes, best of luck to you Scott. I hope you don't get too busy to visit here.

satcom

It can get that bad and then turn around just when you think all is lost, the business cycle is like a roller coster, with up's and downs, what I have learned over the years, is when your in business you need to spread out your income producing areas, from day one in business, some new construction, some service work, and a larger number of on going contracts, if you just take the route of working jobs as they come, you will always ride the lows on the coster ride and your business will always struggle to survive, I remember first starting out, I went thru some down business cycles, had small ones at home, so took jobs cleaning toilets in local plants, and delivering papers, and taking any helper jobs I could grab, while still fighting to keep the business alive, but over the early years, I did learn to invest in my business, with other income areas, if you choose not to invest in yourself, then working for someone else, may be the best route.

In 1990 I went from making great money as an electrician to a $7.00 per hr lawn mower pusher, you do what you have to.:)

I agree, I would do whatever it takes to take care of my family. One thing I have learned about the economy and from other electricians is that some of them are 'not business' men. This is not meant as a insult to anyone so please dont take it the wrong way, but some of them need to learn how to invest in other things as well, besides we all will get old to where we cant work anymore like we use to.

ItsHot

My intent with my comments was not to discourage or insult anyone here!! I can think of a lot worse jobs to have ,than working at a home supply store! Any job in these times is a blessing! Scott hang in there! :)

J.D. Electric

I worked for HD for 3 years . Try to work in a suburan store instead of a store in the city . I'd go back if I had to it wasn't that bad the hours do suck though.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Go down to the big orange real early in the AM and stand out in front of the door about 15 minutes before the store opens. Get a load of the ra,ra, ra, cheerleading session all the store employee's get to sit thru. That will probably end your thinking about possibly working there for less than 20 an hour. I think I will weave coconut frond hats for tourists before I go that route.... By the way, that does look like a fairly good way to motivate a bunch of sparky's just before they leave the shop for the days job. But I don't think that would work with electricians. Not the ones I know.

Wally world used to do that too, I think they still do, must be a big corporation thing. All the construction guys on a remodel would stand around and laugh about the brainwashing sessions! We are a big corporation too, and some of the things upper management comes up with.......:roll:

satcom

My intent with my comments was not to discourage or insult anyone here!! I can think of a lot worse jobs to have ,than working at a home supply store! Any job in these times is a blessing! Scott hang in there! :)

I think it is a great move, and he will have money coming in, and he will have the time to re trench his business, without exhausting any savings, and I think after 18 years, he can learn the best way to spread out the business income, to build a stronger base, that will not depend on week to week jobs.
The good new is, the EC's in my area that have invested in other income and on going contracts, have made it thru many cycles, including this current down market.

nhfire77

Scott,

If you have to choose, based on my personal experience with the local management, Lowes wins every time. They appear to treat their employees much, much better than the place that makes you dress up like a traffic cone. I hear you though, its tough here.

lefty

it all about money

it all about money

you do what you gotta do, best of luck. i have always found that EC's need good people regardless of times. Have you tried a reputable EC, that is to go to work for him, i have found that some EC's like the guys that have been in business, because they have a real sense of what running a business is like and turn into their best employees. Especially the ones like myself, i consider myself a terrible employee and price my self accordingly. just remember we as EC's usually price ourselves to low, and then at a complaint, we lower it some more, and then our fellings get in the way, then we just give it to them. I found myself making just about as much money working for an EC, as being one, considering the midnight oil that i would burn. Good Luck!

Steviechia2

Scott did you see on the news wednesday, they reported that Mass has come out of the recession? Those reporters/analysts should be fired. Although the only positive thing about that is those dumb enough to believe it might start spending money to boost the economy! :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.