Need to remove section of PVC without cutting wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aleman

Figured I'd ask for ideas on this one. I have a PVC cable chase that is loaded with airlines and cables. We are moving to new controls so I need to
cutout a section of pipe. Without pulling the cables which makes it a little harder. It's on a rack with some other pipe so it will be tough to get all around it
with cutting tools. I am thinking of trying a laminate trimmer on it. With the depth set to not cut all the way through. The pipe is probably 2-1/2". This is all
low voltage stuff, RTD's and airlines.
I figured other people have had to do this, so any ideas appreciated.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Figured I'd ask for ideas on this one. I have a PVC cable chase that is loaded with airlines and cables. We are moving to new controls so I need to
cutout a section of pipe. Without pulling the cables which makes it a little harder. It's on a rack with some other pipe so it will be tough to get all around it
with cutting tools. I am thinking of trying a laminate trimmer on it. With the depth set to not cut all the way through. The pipe is probably 2-1/2". This is all
low voltage stuff, RTD's and airlines.
I figured other people have had to do this, so any ideas appreciated.

If you can get a partial cut around the PVC you can usually "snap it" the rest of the way. 2-1/2" may be a little tough. You might have to file or smooth the edges some after you snap it off.

Another way, but slower, is to take string or fishing line and wrap it around the pipe. You then work it back and forth causing the string to slowly cut into the pipe. It works but it is slow going.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Laminate trimer might work. I would be more inclined to try a Feine.

The times I have had to do this I take my time with a handheld hacksaw blade. Saw, saw, saw, around the pipe as much as you dare. Shake, shake, shake the PVC and see if breaks. Saw a little more.....

Best case you can slide a piece of EMT inside the PVC, but that does not sound like an option this time.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Those work great. Use a 3/4 cut EMT to protect the stuff in the chase!
Ummm... if I understand the request correctly, just cutting around the PVC is not going to cut it (pun intended :p). I believe the idea is to remove the PVC chase without disconnecting any of its contents.

@Aleman

I'd go with a trim saw with carbide tooth blade... set cut depth and rip away. The wire saw probably best for "round" cuts. A laminate trimmer, or Fein (or copycat) would be slow cutting. If you try cutting fast with 'em, the PVC just melts and gums up the cutting edges. The tooth spacing and slower tip speed on a portable trim saw blade works in your favor.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Again, you need to make a longitudinal cut or two also.
For the circumferential cut, if there is clearance to swing it, a wheel type pipe cutter would have zero risk of abrading the wires inside.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
For the circumferential cut, if there is clearance to swing it, a wheel type pipe cutter would have zero risk of abrading the wires inside.
That's why I mentioned a chain-type exhaust pipe cutter. Each or every other roller is a wheel cutter. A typical single-wheel pipe cutter won't cut it (pun intended, again :lol:)... with it being on a rack with other pipe.

Last edited:

Aleman

Thanks for the ideas guys. That wire saw looks cool just to have. I might be able to get one at the local army surplus.

I will try to get up there today and loose the clamps and see how far I can lift the pipe off the rack. What method I use
will depend on how much room I end up with.

kwired

Electron manager
Thanks for the ideas guys. That wire saw looks cool just to have. I might be able to get one at the local army surplus.

I will try to get up there today and loose the clamps and see how far I can lift the pipe off the rack. What method I use
will depend on how much room I end up with.
Similar wire saws are available in the plumbing dept at hardware and big box stores.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I totally missed the part about needing to take out a section. I was thinking the OP just needed to remove an end section.
So I would try any of the methods mentioned for the circumference cut and then I would probably try a Dremel tool with a cut-off wheel to make the long cut. May have to make more than one cut long ways to allow the piece to clear the contents for removal.

Aleman

Here's a thought...

Shoot it with some liquid nitrogen... then smack it with a hammer. :cool:

That would bust a hole in the pipe for sure. The cables would probably be ok too:p

It occurred to me today that I can make a cutout on the bottom of the pipe, maybe 12" long and 2 across. Leaving the top intact. Everything gets pulled out and down to new
rack. No need to cut all the way around. Going to try the laminate trimmer on it. It will work ok, but probably be a pain in the butt to do.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
A wheel cutter like the plumbers use on ABS and PVC would work well if you have the room to swing it. Otherwise, I use a sawzall and ring the pipe very carefully, then snap it off. If you need to make lengthwise cuts down the pipe, I use my metal circular saw with the depth set just a little shallow. Cut a groove and then drive a flatblade screwdriver into it and pry it apart.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
For the longitudinal cut, you could use a Roto-Zip if it will fit. You can use a side cutting drill bit and adust it to cut almost all the way through, then as Cow says pry it apart with a screwdriver.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
My Rigid pipe cutter comes with 2 rollers and one cutting wheel, but they mount the same way. I bought 2 extra cutting wheels that I take out the rollers and replace with cutters when working in close quarters where I can't go all the way around.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
A wheel cutter like the plumbers use on ABS and PVC would work well if you have the room to swing it. Otherwise, I use a sawzall and ring the pipe very carefully, then snap it off. If you need to make lengthwise cuts down the pipe, I use my metal circular saw with the depth set just a little shallow. Cut a groove and then drive a flatblade screwdriver into it and pry it apart.

My Rigid pipe cutter comes with 2 rollers and one cutting wheel, but they mount the same way. I bought 2 extra cutting wheels that I take out the rollers and replace with cutters when working in close quarters where I can't go all the way around.

Want to borrow my #246 soil snapper? :lol:

4ff649bb-5b3c-4ac6-83b6-2cdc6f76ada2.jpg

fmtjfw

Nylon Twine

Nylon Twine

If it were to contain just THxN conductors, another safe way to cut the circular cut(s) is to use nylon twine. Sawing it back and forth on the PVC cuts it nicely and the nylon over the THxN insulation prevents the insulation from being cut. For a longitudinal cut, pass the twine out each end of the section you cut out by the two circular cuts and saw away (twice). I've used this method when I've needed to shorten a PVC stub without harming the wires.

With tubing in it, more care is required.

domnic

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
cut pvc

cut pvc

Use nylon string the same way you use a chain saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.