Fiberglass conduit - have you used it? Did you like it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougAles

I'm seeking feedback on your experience with fiberglass conduit.

Given other conduits such as PVC schedule 40 & 80, PVC coated Rigid, Aluminum, Stainless & more, where would you prefer fiberglass over other conduits?

Please share your knowledge and thoughts.

Thank you.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
One of the utilities in my area has been looking into using the fiberglass 90s
in lieu of steel on their underground PVC runs since bonding is not an issue and the fiberglass 90s don't suffer "rope burn" associated with PVC pulls.

kentirwin

Meh

Meh

One of the utilities in my area has been looking into using the fiberglass 90s
in lieu of steel on their underground PVC runs since bonding is not an issue and the fiberglass 90s don't suffer "rope burn" associated with PVC pulls.

I'm relatively sure there might be some very few uses for which fiberglass conduit might have it's advantages such as 90's that aren't prone to rope burn. Other than that the disadvatages appear to greatly outweigh any advantage IMO.

kentirwin

Thank you Kent.

What would you feel are disadvantages?

Based on only reading the white paper linked to:

Strength, expense, bending and a seemingly big disadvatage with the use of the adhesive. I can't think off hand of a situation where I would choose fiberglass conduit in lieu of PVC with the possible exception of fiberglass 90's for the reason stated. Bear in mind though I've never used fiberglass conduit or even seen it for that matter. Perhaps there are advantages I haven't forseen.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
I have only used it once, but I have had them demonstrated to me as well. Granted part of the pitch was salesman rhetoric, but I disagree with the commentors here. First the strength of fiberglass conduit on impact like hitting with a hammer or a car is far better than PVC, but is not as strong as rigid. The thing is that it doesn't dent. An impact strong enough to break the fiberglass is strong enough to dent and bend the rigid. Regarding the gluing, it is fairly simple process. I use an epoxy gluing system when I couple PVC to HDPE all the time. Fare cheaper than using Eloc couplings. It bugs me when electricians use PVC glue which is totally illegal. Anyway, you can bend fiberglass using a heater and a bender see here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smBSZRLuw0Q

I would use it above ground in second. I beg customers to allow underground elbows in fiberglass in lieu of rigid, because of weight and having to wrap or coat them. BTW, they can be ordered with the correct couplings factory glued on.

100% in favor of fiberglass and if I were the customer in a corrosive environment or a place subject to vehicular traffic I would specify fiberglass.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Based on only reading the white paper linked to:

I am not sure that the white paper written for a competitive product is totally unbiased:)

Champion Fiberglass also has a white paper that shows the advantages of fiberglass over steel.

Sources from the manufacturer or their associations are not places where I would look to find "real" information.

kentirwin

I am not sure that the white paper written for a competitive product is totally unbiased:)

Champion Fiberglass also has a white paper that shows the advantages of fiberglass over steel.

Sources from the manufacturer or their associations are not places where I would look to find "real" information.

That's why I qualified my response as I've never used it. I did later watch Champion's video on bending. From that the process looks to be no big deal whereas the white paper I read tended to make me think otherwise.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.