SO cord

Status
Not open for further replies.

nolabama

i am repairing my courtyard lighting (not a client) that is very old and damaged - i would like to use SO cord from the bottom of the trees to the lights - i am considering using an eye bolt for the cord to travel thru (comments suggestions appreciated) my question is this

can i buy a high quality extension cord and use it instead of SO - i can get this considerable cheaper than SO cord

i know its not listed or aproved or code compliant - but in this saftey serious world we live in now how terrible is this - i guess the question is would you lose sleep over it

wireguru

ps if your trees are Red, i got myself stuck with ALOT of red 12/3 and 14/3 SJTW :D

stupid factory took my 'can you make this and for how much' as 'make this and i will buy it all from you' I didnt want my sales guy to get sent to prison or something for dishonering a factory so i have alot of red SJTW on its way :/

TOOL_5150

ps if your trees are Red, i got myself stuck with ALOT of red 12/3 and 14/3 SJTW :D

stupid factory took my 'can you make this and for how much' as 'make this and i will buy it all from you' I didnt want my sales guy to get sent to prison or something for dishonering a factory so i have alot of red SJTW on its way :/

how much per foot for the 12/3?

~Matt

mdshunk

SO deteriorating fast:confused: We used to build outdoor airport terms. with roof mounted cable trays full of SJ/OOW cable.

Have some literature to back that up????
I don't need literature. I've got tons of experience in that regard that I don't need literature. SO gets rotten real fast, particularly when mounted near the ceiling. I'd rather think those cable trays you filled with SO were filled with a dual rated cable, or you were really using SJT and called it SO.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
If I remember correctly:

S = 600V rubber insulation
SJ = 300V rubber insulation

Most common suffixes
O = oil resistant outside jacket
O = oil resistant inside insulation
W = UV/weather resistance
-A = water tightness/submergeability
T = thermoplastic insulation

I don't know of any cable manufacturer still making plain S, SJ, SO, and SJO except for special orders and pre-assemble cords.

i know its not listed or aproved or code compliant - but in this saftey serious world we live in now how terrible is this - i guess the question is would you lose sleep over it

Here we have this electrical site that has professionals discussing installations. Many people from all over the world come here either on purpose or by accident and view the professionals in discussion.

Here is a post of one of those professionals who is about to do work on his own property and Code Compliance is not the issue, cost is.

Sends a great message out to the world.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I find that a piece of 1/2" pvc conforms nicely to the tree. There is good protection and you could hide the pipe on the back side of the tree then flex around with carflex.

Status
Not open for further replies.