alu wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
May look like USE cable, but doesn't appear to be marked as such.

Even if it is USE it can not be used indoors. There are conductors out there with multiple ratings marked on them - typically USE/RHW maybe with a -2 included. Those can be used both as direct bury and indoors (in a raceway).

My understanding is straight USE does not pass/ has not been tested for vertical flame and smoke producing characteristics and possibly some other things to allow it for use indoors.

:thumbsup:

If the OP wants to run it inside, even in a raceway it has to be a listed cable and have marking such as RHW, XHHW etc.

darrenh

May look like USE cable, but doesn't appear to be marked as such.

Even if it is USE it can not be used indoors. There are conductors out there with multiple ratings marked on them - typically USE/RHW maybe with a -2 included. Those can be used both as direct bury and indoors (in a raceway).

My understanding is straight USE does not pass/ has not been tested for vertical flame and smoke producing characteristics and possibly some other things to allow it for use indoors.

I see where it says the uses of use wire, but i dont see where it says use cant be use anywhere else

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
Keeping in mind that many manufacturers produce URD 600V AA8000 multi-rated products. For example, One company that I am very aware of produces a URD or as they call it UDC that is triple rated so it can handle USE-2, RHW-2 and RHH. All of which are listed in 310.104.

It is more and more popular to produce dual or triple rated products for use in a wide variety of applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.