Electrician

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew1961

I went into an apartment and the kitchen and dining room light come on at the same time. The dining room light seems to take a couple of seconds to come to full light. Starts out about 40 watts and about 3 seconds later come up to 60 watts. Have checked the neutals and light legs.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I have recently ran into a batch of defective decora type switches, you would flip them on, and there would be a delay before the light would come on. Replaced the switch, problem went away.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
So far, it does not sound like a problem. Not necessarily convenient, but not a code violation and not a safety hazard. But perhaps there is more information available. For example, is this a troubleshooting situation? Did the owner call for assistance with a recent problem? Have the kitchen and DR lights always come on and off together (it would be strange indeed if that is a new behavior for the lights)? Is the DR light a compact fluorescent type (the slow start and jump to higher brightness is normal for them)?

cadpoint

Welcome to the Forum!

Stating wattage reading obtained in the OP got me curious and I searched around!

Most single phase devices seemed to be plug-in devices and of course the higher priced three phase
hand held devices do exist!

What type of measuring device did you use to determine your stated readings? ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.