amount of florescent lighting needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

I have a 14'x27' room with 14' high ceilings, white painted walls and an unpainted concrete floor.This is commercial space and will be used as a 24/7 self serve wash area for dogs.Owner tells me that he want's to make sure that it is "bright" yet really knows nothing about foot candles
or lighting in general. I would like to use 4'4 lamp t-8 surface fixtures w/F32T8/SP50 lamps. Any suggestions as to how many fixtures I will need. I realize I'm not giving much info as far as how bright it will be. What are the standard specs for let's say retail commercial space?Thanks

normbac

Had a similar situation owner buffed show cars wanted a lot of light I used 2x4 highbay ho fluorescent lights Used eight Light was perfect very Bright 15x 30 area

CPorter

amount of fluorescent light needed

amount of fluorescent light needed

Standard office lighting is about 250 lux, highly detailed drawing requires 1,500 or so. I would imagine that washing a dog would fall into the area in between. My office is about 550 lux with light absorbing walls and I think that level with white walls would be sufficient. I'm using recessed 2x4 with 2 T-5 HO lamps on a 10' ceiling and measuring at 30" above the floor. Lights are spaced 6' intervals on the short axis and 4' on the long axis. In your case I might put one fixture over each dog washing table.

mccayry

I just recently installed some Lithonia High bay lights in a shop with 16' ceilings. The lights are 4' long 6 bulb T8. The shop was 40' x 70' and I installed 3 rows of lights spaced 6' apart staggered. The lights are hanging at 14' from the ground. Awesome lighting no shadowing at all. I was able to pick them up for $114 each including bulbs and cable hangers.

dieselram752

Check with your local electrical supply house and have them come to look and give you an idea what they think.
I have had good luck doing lighting design this way.
It gives you a 2nd opinion for free:cool:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.