Trough ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidtite

When installing a trough to enter a ct cabinet are you allowed to cut a square into the cabinet you are bringing your conductors through . I usually chase nipple into an enclosure but was not able to bc the busses were live and theirs not a lot of room. Also their is a pice of rmc exiting the side panel of the cabinet going to a meter so we couldn't just take the cover off .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 0

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
They make flange adapters for the purpose that you've described.

d_10952.jpg

Canton

Occupation
Electrician
When installing a trough to enter a ct cabinet are you allowed to cut a square into the cabinet you are bringing your conductors through . I usually chase nipple into an enclosure but was not able to bc the busses were live and theirs not a lot of room. Also their is a pice of rmc exiting the side panel of the cabinet going to a meter so we couldn't just take the cover off .

sure you can, just use some quick edge. you will have to bond the two enclosures, or buy and use the flange that infinity pointed out.

Canton

Occupation
Electrician
Hot work? How justified?

hospitals.....all the time. it is very inconvinient for them to shut something down for an hour or two.....but when i mess up and drop something.......that hour or two will turn into a couple of days or weeks..........:huh:

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
They make flange adapters for the purpose that you've described.

d_10952.jpg

That looks like a wireway flange adapter? Is that what you use between two adjacent cabinets? I only ask because of the tabs that stick out on one side don't look very friendly to wires curling around and through the adapter.

We've always cut our own holes and then used that plastic edge protector that comes on a roll.

liquidtite

That looks like a wireway flange adapter? Is that what you use between two adjacent cabinets? I only ask because of the tabs that stick out on one side don't look very friendly to wires curling around and through the adapter.

We've always cut our own holes and then used that plastic edge protector that comes on a roll.

You would bolt the flange adapter to the trough to make it flush with trough so it's a smooth transition

Last edited:

liquidtite

So you would have to get the adapter with the same dimensions as the wire way .
do they make flange adapters for the larger size troughs

iwire

Staff member

You use it where a wireway enters an enclosure. The tabs are in the wireway and provide a smooth transition.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
You would bolt the flange adapter to the trough to make it flush with trough so it's a smooth transition

So you would have to get the adapter with the same dimensions as the wire way .
do they make flange adapters for the larger size troughs

You use it where a wireway enters an enclosure. The tabs are in the wireway and provide a smooth transition.

Whoops, I only looked at the picture and it looked like two large cabinets connected together, no trough, and I thought he was wanting to use a small wireway adapter between them....:slaphead:

Status
Not open for further replies.