Split-bus panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElectricianJeff

I have a job this Friday that has me second guessing myself. This is in an area that I don't do alot of work in and I am not familiar with the inspector. This is a result of a city inspection do to a change in occupancy and I am getting my information second hand from the homeowner.

This is a 100 amp. push-matic split bus panel. The two 50 amp. mains are located in the middle of the bus. The inspector has a problem with the fact that 2 different breakers have to be pushed to disconnect power. In reviewing 230.71 and 230.72 ('05) this existing installation meets my interpretation of these sections.

I will be installing a 100 amp exterior disconnect since the meter base is about 15' from this panel.

According to the HO the inspector wants a plate attached to these 2 breakers to allow the service to be disconnected with just one push. My thinking is that the field modification of this existing panel is more of a code issue than what presently exists.

I would be interested in any input on this in case I am missing something.

RICK NAPIER

If your installing an exterior disconnect there is no need for this panel to even have a main disconnect. Besides it was UL approved and falls under the six switch rule. It is compliant. I would not take the homeowners word but speak to the AHJ directly.

ElectricianJeff

If your installing an exterior disconnect there is no need for this panel to even have a main disconnect. Besides it was UL approved and falls under the six switch rule. It is compliant. I would not take the homeowners word but speak to the AHJ directly.

I will see him on Friday, just wanted to have my ducks in a row.

Thanks

GUNNING

Upsell son .... UPSELL!

Upsell son .... UPSELL!

Tell the owner you have an issue with the inspector and will need to replace the inside panel also. New breakers vs old nasty push o matics.
And oh yea... the wire is brittle and needs to be upgraded to the right size and number... separating the grounds....

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I agree with Rick. I would talk to the inspector personally and remember the panel met Code at the time of it's installation.

If you are adding the disconnect for a valid reason I would also discuss with him the need for a 4 wire system to the interior panel and separating the neutrals and equipment grounds, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.