Wireless Access Points on Ceiling Grid

Status
Not open for further replies.

DannyO

I am installing some Cisco Wireless Access Points and they come with brackets that attach to the suspended ceiling's grid. A coworker expressed they needed to be tethered to the structure above the ceiling, in addition to mounting to the grid. Is this true? I have been unable to find the area of NEC 2005 (our State uses that guide) that covers this topic. Others have indicated that those supports are adequate and no additional support mechanisms are needed or required by law.

Thanks!

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am not sure that applies to wireless equipment but in generally electrical lighting is supposed to be indepedently supported from the grid. Technically it may be an issue but I am only familiar with it in respect to the lights. It may be a building code issue also.

DannyO

Thanks, Dennis. I will keep digging and see what the local inspectors (and others) have to say. I think the weight and nature (voltage) of the lighting is the reason a difference may exist but I want to be sure to be sure!

Cheers!

dicklaxt

I don't know the config of these units but it might just be anti fall safety chain,I had to do that once.

dick

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I am not sure that applies to wireless equipment but in generally electrical lighting is supposed to be indepedently supported from the grid. Technically it may be an issue but I am only familiar with it in respect to the lights. It may be a building code issue also.
410.36(B) says that the grid can be used to support light fixtures.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
In the ASTM standards it says "......All other services must be supported independently from the ceiling system....."

This is what we use for any thing that is in the ceiling. "Lighting fixtures weighing less than 56 lbs shall have.....two No. 12-gage hangers connected from the fixture housing to the structure above...."

Now for things like exit signs, speakers, can lights, etc. we only require one wire.

ASTM E580
ASTM C636

Jim W in Tampa

Lot depends on if they are cord and plug connected. Chances are high that fire marshall will have issues with it. You might be ok if its on a main T and not a 2 or 4 foot T.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I believe you cant put a cord and plug above the drop ceiling

True, but you can have a receptacle, a plug-in step down transformer, and a low voltage cable above the ceiling. That would be typical for a wireless router.

If its a small router like I have at home, I can't believe anyone would really have a problem with it being suported from the Tbar. They are so light weight, I really don't believe there would be any safety issue.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
True, but you can have a receptacle, a plug-in step down transformer, and a low voltage cable above the ceiling. That would be typical for a wireless router.

If its a small router like I have at home, I can't believe anyone would really have a problem with it being suported from the Tbar. They are so light weight, I really don't believe there would be any safety issue.

You must not live in earthquake country. Here we want everything above your head to stay above your head, if we can.:)

DannyO

GTK, Jim -- thanks. They are Power Over Ethernet--no power cords there, and weigh a pound or two (with steel mounting bracket).

I just wish there was a clear-cut answer somewhere. Some building inspectors I speak with say they are fine, the manufacturers of the ceiling and access points do, also (of course!); but there are others who say 'no'. None of them can point me to an exact document, though.

The local inspector says they are fine mounted right to the bracket but my boss's concern is if he leaves (I guess he is known to be 'soft') what happens if someone new comes in...

My gut tells me they are fine: there is very little weight, they are securely mounted to the T-Bars so they don't even slip or move, and are fire-rated accordingly.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Support of WAP is not addressed in the NEC. As Don points out we have rules for support of luminaires. Perhaps a rule for WAP is needed, deadline for 2014 changes is Nov 2011.

DannyO

That would be helpful; realistically, there is little weight and as long as no power (power pack) is tied into it I don't see a reason why it cannot be bracketed to the ceiling tile frames.

Status
Not open for further replies.