210.4 (2008 Changes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcrwly10

I saw this post, I know it's an older post but I have a question. Virginia just recently adopted the 2008 NEC and I have been trying to catch up with the updates. I recently came across a situation where I want to route multiple 2P circuits in a single conduit, 2 phase wires & a ground, no neutral. How does the changes to article 210.4 effect this situation, or does this not apply when no neutral is present? Any insight would be great.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I think you have the right idea. 210.4 is all about multi-wire branch circuits. The article 100 definition of MWBC includes the presence of the grounded (neutral) conductor. A two-pole circuit with two hots and a ground is not a MWBC. Thus, 210.4 does not relate to your installation.

Welcome to the forum.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am not sure of the question. If it is a circuit with 2 ungrounded conductors then you still need a dp breaker or 2 sp with a breaker tie.

dcrwly10

Thanks for the clarification charlie b that was exactly what I was looking for. I was pretty sure this article did not apply to non-neutral circuits but wanted to be sure. Where can I find in the NEC about sharing grounding conductors with mulitple circuits?

Status
Not open for further replies.