Door Bell transformer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jahilliard

Hadn't yet encountered this issue before but we were required to remove the door bell transformer from being inside the electrical panel when we replaced the panel. I understand that we are not supposed to mix voltages but I was curious the specifics for this particular circumstance?? In other words I have always interpreted that this was ok, and was curious where it states that it's not ok.

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
What are you looking to know. Doorbell wire cannot be in the panel and the panel is not listed for other equipment. Also the trany was probably not even mounted but floating in the panel-- therefore it wasn't grounded

jahilliard

Honestly I had always assumed it was ok..probably just because I have seen it done so much. Fair enough, the obvious answer is the correct one. thank you

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Those transformers are Class 2 which cannot be within the same panel enclosure as the power conductors. Check out Article 725.

JFletcher

Hadn't yet encountered this issue before but we were required to remove the door bell transformer from being inside the electrical panel when we replaced the panel. I understand that we are not supposed to mix voltages but I was curious the specifics for this particular circumstance?? In other words I have always interpreted that this was ok, and was curious where it states that it's not ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.