New Bridgeport fitting = to Kenny Clamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Bridgeport has a new "mighty ground" fitting, the MCC-050 and 075 that is similar in function to the Kenny Clamp.
http://www.bptfittings.com/images/whatsnew/Grounding Products Flyer.pdf

I have used and like the Kenny Clamp. Its a brass compression fitting designed to clamp the GEC where it enters a panel to comply with section 250.64(E)
While not all forum members will agree that such a solution is required, either product is a better way to run a GEC than thru a romex clamp.
And its nice to see mfgs developing products, perhaps now we will see some field installations of these.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Looks great since it does a wide range of conductor sizes. Anyone know the price? I believe that an original Kenny clamp is about $5.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Why do we need anything other than putting the GEC through the small 1/4 knock out that is provided in many panels?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Not all panels have those small KO's. Some panels have no KO's at all.

Fine, I have to put holes in for the raceway entries and I have to put one in for the GEC. I just don't see a need for this fitting, but now with two manufacturers having a product on the market, I expect to see it as a code rule in the 2014.

iwire

Staff member
I have no problem at all with anyone wanting to voluntarily use these products.

But like Don I see a code section being added to require them without any substantiation of a need for them beyond making money ...... and that bothers me a great deal.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
So if you had no small KO for the GEC what would you use? Drill a small hole? Knock out a 1/2" KO and run the GEC in without a connector?

480sparky

So if you had no small KO for the GEC what would you use? Drill a small hole? Knock out a 1/2" KO and run the GEC in without a connector?

I have no problems getting out the cordless drill.

My question is: What is the advantage to using these products.... how does the installation of them increase the safety of the overall system?

To me, all the connections that the fitting has simply increases it's resistance. The connection between it and the GEC. The connection (or connections) from there to the body of the fitting. Now it needs a connection to the tub....which involves removing paint in most cases. Then you've got the connection between the tub and the bonding screw. Maybe there's a strap between the screw and the neutral/ground bar. And finally, you make it to the neutral/ground bar.

If the GEC is already firmly terminated in the neutral/ground bar, what practical purpose do these fittings serve, then? Trying to get a ground fault to follow such a circuitous route can't work, IMPO.

And if you install an insulated GEC, all these things do is look pretty.

electricmanscott

I have no problem at all with anyone wanting to voluntarily use these products.

But like Don I see a code section being added to require them without any substantiation of a need for them beyond making money ...... and that bothers me a great deal.

It bothers me when people whine about doing work that they are getting paid for. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.