How many sockets per circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMMB

Occupation
Electrical Manager
How many sockets outlets for small appliances can be accepted by NEC , and what is the maximum length for the socket outlets circuit (how many meters)

Regards

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If by small appliance you mean SABC's, then you're only required to provide two circuits. The number of receptacles isn't limited.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I would think the 180va per outlet would apply since I don't see those addressed any other way in 220.14. That is, of course, just my opinion.
As far as length, IMO, it's a design issue. With an unknown load and no voltage drop requirement by NEC it's the designer/architect/engineer choice.
We recently had that argument in a major industrial complex. The maintenance folks wanted the wire designed for a full 20 amp load at the furthest outlet. The engineers had not designed it that way. (As I recall the prints went to a #10 at any 20 amp circuit over 150 ft)

TMMB

Occupation
Electrical Manager
it mean there is no in NEC any requirment regarding the nos. of socket outlets (13A TYPE) in a circuit protected by 20A MCB , THERE IS NO LIMITED NOS.? AS PER NEC

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
it mean there is no in NEC any requirement regarding the nos. of socket outlets (13A TYPE) in a circuit protected by 20A MCB , THERE IS NO LIMITED NOS.? AS PER NEC

as Augie said, there is the 180VA per strap. So, if you have 180VA (watts) per strap you can only install 13 receptacle outlets per 20Amp circuit.

2400/180 = 13.3

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
What's a 13A?

220-03b9.gif

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
+ 1 little bitty receptacle-.33 size:lol:
2400/180=13.33:p

Where do you buy those. :lol:

220.5 Calculations.
(A) Voltages. Unless other voltages are specified, for purposes of calculating branch-circuit and feeder loads, nominal system voltages of 120, 120/240, 208Y/120, 240, 347, 480Y/277, 480, 600Y/347, and 600 volts shall be used.
(B) Fractions of an Ampere. Where calculations result in a fraction of an ampere that is less than 0.5, such fractions shall be permitted to be dropped.

Status
Not open for further replies.