Grounding double meter site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wormy

Question. Im wireing a new house that will have two meters. A 200amp meter for the whole house and a 100amp meter beside it just for a well pump. The power co. will run two services for me in the same ditch. In my county we are required to have 2 ground rods on a service. Do I put in two ground rods and loop the grounding electrode conductor between the meters? Or ground each meter seperatly, 2 ground rod rods for each meter?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
You only need 2 rods for the 2 meters. You can loop from one meter to the first rod, then to the next rod back to the second meter. Or you can have 2 separate runs from the meters to each rod. Just as long as each meter or service disconnect is connected to the 2 rods you should be okay.

kwired

Electron manager
Unless you have a fairly large well pump you should not have much need for a second set of service conductors underground. Hit a splicing box or wireway and then make a tap to supply the smaller meter base. You could run your grounding electrode(s) from the wireway or splice box with this setup.

With 2 meters you will have 2 service disconnects make sure they are grouped in same location - you can't have well pump service disconnect next to meter and house service disconnect in the basement of house.

Last edited:

wormy

Unless you have a fairly large well pump you should not have much need for a second set of service conductors underground. Hit a splicing box or wireway and then make a tap to supply the smaller meter base. You could run your grounding electrode(s) from the wireway or splice box with this setup.

With 2 meters you will have 2 service disconnects make sure they are grouped in same location - you can't have well pump service disconnect next to meter and house service disconnect in the basement of house.

My original plan was to just hit a wireway with the service and make a tap, but the power company suggested that they would run a seperate service for me as the transformer is only about 50ft from the house. I will have a disconnect for each meter outside. Thanks guys.

ceb58

My original plan was to just hit a wireway with the service and make a tap, but the power company suggested that they would run a seperate service for me as the transformer is only about 50ft from the house. I will have a disconnect for each meter outside. Thanks guys.

Why do they want two meters? What size pump? :-?

wormy

Why do they want two meters? What size pump? :-?
A friend of mine is building two 900 sq ft homes to use as rental units. He will be paying for the water to both units and the tennants will pay for the power to the houses. He has one well with the pressure tank in the basement of house #1. Thus the need for two meters. I will be mounting a 100a meter base which will only serve the well pump and a few lights in the basement.

Status
Not open for further replies.