Arc flash labeling - what equipment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

malachi constant

Per NEC 110.16 any electrical equipment that is likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing or maintenance while energized is required to be field marked to warn of arc flash hazards. Switchboards, panelboards, industrial control panels, meter socket enclosures and motor control centers are specifically called out by NEC.

What else is (or should be) typically labeled? I assume disconnects and VFDs?
What shouldn't? Junction boxes, pull boxes, lighting, receptacles...?

I've skimmed OSHA 1910.333, NFPA 70E and IEEE 1584 and didn't see anything more than listed in NEC, but if I'm missing something I want to know!!

Thanks!

bphgravity

The section is intentionally written vaguely to allow the local AHJ to make the determination of what equipment needs to be marked.

Everyone on this forum can provide you their opinion or recommendation but the only one that really matters is the local / state AHJ.

Chev

Master Electrician @ Retired
Occupation
Retired Master Electrician, Formerly at Twin Lakes Electric and GMC
Per NEC 110.16 any electrical equipment that is likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing or maintenance while energized is required to be field marked to warn of arc flash hazards. Switchboards, panelboards, industrial control panels, meter socket enclosures and motor control centers are specifically called out by NEC.

What else is (or should be) typically labeled? I assume disconnects and VFDs?
What shouldn't? Junction boxes, pull boxes, lighting, receptacles...?

I've skimmed OSHA 1910.333, NFPA 70E and IEEE 1584 and didn't see anything more than listed in NEC, but if I'm missing something I want to know!!

Thanks!

We label lighting/receptacle panels, power distribution panels, weld plug disconnects, fused disconnects, drive control panels. Pretty much everything you mentioned. If someone is going to get in it to poke around and it may be hot we label it. From the Bus on down. We also label all machinery in the plant, grinders, lathes, mills etc.

Last edited:

wtucker

NFPA70E 130.3(C) requires all equipment to be field marked...

And Art. 100 of 70E-2009 defines "Equipment" as "A general term, including material, fittings, devices, appliances, luminaires, apparatus, machinery, and the like used as a part of, or in connection with, an electrical installation."

That's pretty much everything, so not much guidance. bphgravity's answer makes more sense: Check with the AHJ. OSHA won't be much help, either. They contradict themselves: http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=INTERPRETATIONS&p_id=25557

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
And Art. 100 of 70E-2009 defines "Equipment" as "A general term, including material, fittings, devices, appliances, luminaires, apparatus, machinery, and the like used as a part of, or in connection with, an electrical installation."

That's pretty much everything, so not much guidance. bphgravity's answer makes more sense: Check with the AHJ. OSHA won't be much help, either. They contradict themselves: http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=INTERPRETATIONS&p_id=25557

The labeling requirements of NPFA70 and NFPA70E have almost nothing to do with each other.

Where do you see a contradiction by OSHA? They say that employees must wear appropriate PPE for the hazards to which they will be exposed. NFPA70E is one method that can be used to determine PPE practices and hazards. NFPA70 does not address PPE at all.

I attended an AVO course for the Army covering arc flash. Any equip. with arc flash potential high enough to do serious damage need warnings with Hazard Level, Calorie level etc. Even a 277V cable can blow up in your face when the tips are shorted live.
Wearing glasses saved me from having molten Wiggy tips from hitting my eyeballs. So if you think it needs a label, put it on.

Status
Not open for further replies.