Kitchen island receptacle requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just had a situation and am looking for opinions. I did not run a receptacle circuit for this particular island because it had an 18" granite counter overhang on all four sides. Upon final inspection the AHJ told me I needed one. I explained the 6" "rule" with overhangs and he agreed it was a "gray" area but insisted and would not sign until I did it. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

480sparky

Islands require one. You're now having to deal with the lack of knowledge by the designer. A pop-up in the c'top is probably your only hope.

Once you solve the problem, find out who the designer is and educate him/her.

iwire

Staff member
The receptacle is required.

The overhang means you can't put it under the overhang.

The only way to do it will be putting the receptacle on top of the counter ...... I know ... the HO won't like it.

GerryB

The only way to do it will be putting the receptacle on top of the counter ...... I know ... the HO won't like it.
In a case like that can the outlet be mounted to the bottom side of the overhang with a surface wiremold box?. Or ask the ahj if he can put it where he normally would even though the overhang is too big. Sounds like the OP new about this ahead of time and maybe should have asked some questions earlier.
I guess my question makes no sense because with an 18" overhang you could have stools all around the island, anything plugged in could be in the way.

iwire

Staff member
In a case like that can the outlet be mounted to the bottom side of the overhang with a surface wiremold box?. Or ask the ahj if he can put it where he normally would even though the overhang is too big.

I think it would be worth running by the inspector to see if they would go for it.

That said I don't think the wording of the NEC allows your fine suggestion.

From the exception
Receptacles mounted below a countertop in accordance
with this exception shall not be located where the
countertop extends more than 150 mm (6 in.) beyond its
support base.

It only talks about the overhangs distance, not the receptacles distance.

kwired

Electron manager

There is another option but HO won't like it either.... cord pendant receptacle hung appropriately in the island vicinity.

In a case like that can the outlet be mounted to the bottom side of the overhang with a surface wiremold box?

I have done that. HO will someday want to use something requiring electric power on that island this is still better then having an extension cord run to some other outlet not part of the island IMO, and I would think many inspectors would buy into that idea as well.

iwire

Staff member
There is another option but HO won't like it either.... cord pendant receptacle hung appropriately in the island vicinity.

I almost mentioned that but I wanted the OP to take me seriously, I have already been told today that I am laughable. :angel:

GerryB

I just had a situation and am looking for opinions. I did not run a receptacle circuit for this particular island because it had an 18" granite counter overhang on all four sides. Upon final inspection the AHJ told me I needed one. I explained the 6" "rule" with overhangs and he agreed it was a "gray" area but insisted and would not sign until I did it. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
In CT you can ask for the State inspector to rule on it ( which usually might not go over to big with the local guy) or put in for a modification. I had to call the state once when a local ahj said my service conduit was to close, (less than 3' from the gas line. ). It's only the meter that needs to be 3' away. I have never done a modification but was told they try to accommodate.

Status
Not open for further replies.