granite backsplash

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdslotz

I have not done resi in decades, but when I remodeled my kitchen, I used the screwless plates.
I got the Aspire plates by Cooper at Lowes.
They work great for the problem you guys are describing.
And they look great

revolt

I use the adjustable boxes in kitchen and bathrooms and pull the boxes out as far as they can go and let the granit and tile guys cut around them

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I use the adjustable boxes in kitchen and bathrooms and pull the boxes out as far as they can go and let the granit and tile guys cut around them

That works well. I do the same for outlets in the baseboard. No fudge rings just adjust the box.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I use the adjustable boxes in kitchen and bathrooms and pull the boxes out as far as they can go and let the granite and tile guys cut around them

We do that as well. What's nice about that type of installation is that even if the cut in the stone or tile is a little too big the yoke of the device can be tightened firmly against the edge of the box.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
LOL To each their own. :)

To me that sure seems kind of overkill and not very customer friendly.

Actually I have a bit I just drill in a tad if I need to but I try and train the guys I work with. Occasionally I get a new installer then I have to start all over. I get the EC to remind them.

dexterg

Adjustable boxes

Adjustable boxes

We always use adjustable boxes in the kitchen countertop areas since you never really know what depth you need. We back them all the way out and let the countertop guys cut up to them since they are usually sticking out 2". Afterwards you screw them back in and bingo ! ,...a perfect flush fit everytime.

Hope this helps.

kwired

Electron manager
I think it is their problem to leave room for my screws. They don't need to cut the hole bigger but they need to leave room for my plate screws with a notch or whatever it takes. Not my job to cut granite -- it is their job, IMO

If you're talking about the tile/granite people not cutting enough around the mudring I agree.
If you're talking about the decora plate screws... Some plates come with very, very short screws (4-5 threads, didn't bother to measure them), but some come with longer ones. I just cut them with a plier for the latter. 6/32 is small enough where it won't mess your thread.

What kind of pliers do you have that won't mess up the threads?

I used to try to cut the screws but seems like you have only .001 inch tolerance or the screw is too long or too short. I have a diamond wheel for my 4-1/2 inch grinder and just make a little slot from edge of cutout far enough that there is room for the screw.

The tile and granite guys will tell you who wants to mess up the backsplash with outlets? Put plugmold directly under the upper cabinets.

I have not tried but would consider the screwless plate idea. Then you have the designer homeowner that wants to replace your standard plates with wood (if metal backed they typically are acceptable), brass, porcelain, or some other decorative plate and then you have same problem again.

Status
Not open for further replies.