Sign transformer access

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinVost

Under the 2005 NEC, Art. 600.21 (E) requires a 2' x 3' access door and a 2' x 3' passageway with a 12" walkway to all components. A local contractor has questioned why the requirement is this way. I did not want to use the "it's in the code book, so it has to be done" reason (although I did provide the code section and required the installation to meet code), I was hoping to get some insight as to the actual reasons behind the requirement. I have heard in passing that it has to do with confined space requirements for rescue personel, but I have not been able to confirm that. I was hoping that someone on the forum may have some input and I would have a chance to learn something new.

mdshunk

I don't know, but it's real darned handy when you're working in the overhangs in a strip mall. I guess when you're working on a gazillion volt neon transformer, the last thing you want to worry about is your footing or falling through the soffet.

Karl H

I don't know, but it's real darned handy when you're working in the overhangs in a strip mall. I guess when you're working on a gazillion volt neon transformer, the last thing you want to worry about is your footing or falling through the soffet.

You could'nt have said that better. The worst hit I've ever had
was a peck on the cheek from a "Gazillion" volt neon transformer.
OMG did that hurt! Why don't they insulate the posts on neon
transformers? BTW

Status
Not open for further replies.