Dedicated line for pool pum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjhoward

Occupation
Owner TJ Electric
Hello All;
I have an above the ground pool with a 12 amp, 120V pool pump.
Planning to install a twist lock recetpacle w/GFI for this pump. (PVC from the house to the box on a post through a 18" deep trench).

Will be pulling 12 awg THHn from a 20 amp breaker in the main panel to the pump recetpacle.

Must the pump branch circuit be a dedicated line?

Th panel is full and I am wondering if I can find a lightly loaded circuit, can "add-on" the pump?

Thanks.

jjhoward

Occupation
Owner TJ Electric
Hi Ben;
Could do that but I was wondering if there is a code requirement that calls out a dedicated line for the pool pump motor.

peter d

Hi Ben;
Could do that but I was wondering if there is a code requirement that calls out a dedicated line for the pool pump motor.

Way too late for me to get the book out, but I'd say it's good practice to put it on its own circuit even if there's nothing to require it.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
There is not a rule for it to be dedicated. However, if the pump is considered "fastened-in-place", then you can't have lights or general purpose receptacles on that circuit because the pump is drawing more than 50% of the circuit rating. You may add additional fastened-in-place items though.

Whether a pool pump is fastened-in-place or not is a grey area to me. I'd say technically it isn't, but it isn't going to go far until you remove the bonding grid connection and the water hoses (kind of like a clothes washing machine though, which is not fastened-in-place). If the water is connected via rigid PVC pipe, then I'd definitely consider the pump fastened-in-place.

Status
Not open for further replies.