UF cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

ItsHot

price?

price?

I would think that uf would be to pricey to install in a dwelling! And the simple question would be why? NM is rated for residential installs. I would think that uf would be overkill. Are you in one of those areas that require conduit for residential installs?

480sparky

Anybody ever use UF cable to feed house? If so is it better than conduit and wire for profit?

You mean to feed a house with, like a service? Or using as in running branch circuits with? Or, do you mean taking power to a 'feed house' as in livestock and animals and critters (oh my!)?

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Where are you finding UF cable large enough to feed a house with?:confused:

I really don't care for UF myself, seems like everytime it faults, I end up replacing the whole run with pvc. The way it should of been done to begin with. JMO.

iwire

Staff member
Anybody ever use UF cable to feed house? If so is it better than conduit and wire for profit?

If this is truly a feeder, you could use UF (Underground Feeder Cable) See 340.10 the NEC allows it to be single or multi conductor cable with 4/0 copper being the largest allowed size. However I really doubt you can find UF in those sizes easily if at all.

If this is a serviceyou could use USE (Underground Service Entrance Cable) That should be available and can also be used for underground feeders.

I don't like direct burial methods but than again it's not my money being spent.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Where are you finding UF cable large enough to feed a house with?:confused:

I really don't care for UF myself, seems like everytime it faults, I end up replacing the whole run with pvc. The way it should of been done to begin with. JMO.

Most failures in UF cable is installation related, back fill must be free from rock or other debris that can damage the cable, poor splicing methods, damage during installation. I have installs that are 30 or more years old that are still functioning fine. I have seen catastrophic failures in underground conduits that made the conduit unusable. UF is just more cost efficient where it can be used.

macmikeman

"The run will be from the meter to the main panel of the house, underground"

If you use a combination meter/main socket (if your poco allows) then 4 wire uf cable from meter/main to house SUB panel, you could probably do it, but then again I am not in front of a code book at present to check this idea out.

peter d

The run will be from the meter to the main panel of the house, underground.

I think most electricians will choose conduit and individual conductors over direct burial cable if cost is not an issue. DB cables are certainly cheaper and faster than conduit, though can be problematic down the road if the installation is poor and backfill is not done with extreme care.

480sparky

I think what you want is URD.

'Dis stuff:

USE-1.jpg

macmikeman

I guess I was assuming he had the cable and wanted to know if he could use it. By the way, do they even make large UF ? I think 8-3 or maybe 6-3 uf is about the largest stocked around my town.

Status
Not open for further replies.