350MCM Cable Pull from Underground

Status
Not open for further replies.

NY347Jersey

For a New Yorkclient we are installing a new 3/C 350MCM feeder cable. The pull isprimarily underground through existing conduits but comes above ground viaa 4 foot sweeping elbow. From this elbow, we are pulling above ground intray to an outdoor switchgear unit. The client has raised concerns thatthe 90 coming from below ground to above ground is not per code and wouldintroduce snow, rain, and moisture into the conduit. Is a 90 coming aboveground against code? Also, what is the best method to weatherproof this area? I have not seen in code where this is a violation.

luckylerado

NEC considers the underground raceway to be a wet location by default. Code will require a fitting or bushing and if it is a metal 90 it will need to be bonded. You can use duct seal to plug the space around the conductors

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
It doesn't matter where the conduit comes up there is going to be water in it. Snow and rain have nothing to do with it, it's the moisture in the atmosphere that is the cause.

How can coming out of the ground be a code violation? What does the client want to do, bury the switchgear?

NY347Jersey

It doesn't matter where the conduit comes up there is going to be water in it. Snow and rain have nothing to do with it, it's the moisture in the atmosphere that is the cause.

How can coming out of the ground be a code violation? What does the client want to do, bury the switchgear?

Thanks for the responses. The underground 90 isn’t the concern, it’s not having weather proofing that would prevent moisture that is their concern for a code violation. I plan on foam sealing the conduit exit as a moisture deterrent. Are there any other means to prevent moisture incursion? Are there any panels that could be used for moisture proofing?

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Thanks for the responses. The underground 90 isn’t the concern, it’s not having weather proofing that would prevent moisture that is their concern for a code violation. I plan on foam sealing the conduit exit as a moisture deterrent. Are there any other means to prevent moisture incursion? Are there any panels that could be used for moisture proofing?

don't foam it, it's not approved for the purpose, and it's open cell foam.

there is a closed cell foam made specifically for this purpose, and
it works very well. it won't leak with 10' of water above it.

http://www.polywater.com/ductseal.html

amazon sells it. $45 a tube.

and it doesn't matter. you could take a length of pipe, have it go from
inside a building to somewhere else, have both ends protected from
water incursion, and it'll be full in a few months. condensation.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I would buy the proper seal fitting.

conduit_sealing_bush_large.jpg

http://www.emersonindustrial.com/en...conduit-sealing-bush/conduit-sealing-bush.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.