Light Fixture Mark Up % for High-End Residential - Looking for Input

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chip0628

I'm looking to hear what electricians doing high-end residential work mark up fancy light fixtures and materials. Some of the home-automation and lighting control brands that I use have a 100% mark-up (50% margin) built in but I read here where some electricians seem to feel lucky with a 25% mark-up (20% margin) on equipment and materials. All input is welcome! THANKS!

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I'm looking to hear what electricians doing high-end residential work mark up fancy light fixtures and materials. Some of the home-automation and lighting control brands that I use have a 100% mark-up (50% margin) built in but I read here where some electricians seem to feel lucky with a 25% mark-up (20% margin) on equipment and materials. All input is welcome! THANKS!

http://www.brucklighting.com/

those are bad enough, but there is an island near italy, they
take you over in a boat.... and it's thought that if you don't
spend enough money, they make you swim back.....
beautiful hand blown glass fixtures... $2k to $3k a fixture.....

high end lighting fixtures often have a comma in the unit pricing.

50% markup is entirely appropriate. people buying light fixtures
in this league are often PITA's.

you will earn the money. don't worry about that.

John120/240

Fixtures in that price range would be the home owners-builders responsibility IMHO. Yea I know 100% markup on a $2,000 dollar fixture is a nice chunk of change. But the logistics of handling expensive fixtures is not my cup of tea.

Hanging these fixtures in the air is enough for me. Example 20 ft ceiling, scaffold & 14 ft step ladders, 3 guys lift the fixture, 4th guy in the attic to secure the safety wire. Just my opinion. YMMV.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
When you mark up materials, you need to consider how much liability you are looking to assume.

Do you intend to simply sell and deliver the fixtures separate from installation, or do you intend to warranty the fixtures as part of a complete package with the installation?

Imagine if a fixture goes bad, and has nothing to do with the installation. Will your fixture warranty include all labor associated with changing it, or will your warranty only cover the fixture itself and charge for labor to uninstall and reinstall?

If you offer a no hassle, no questions asked warranty, thenyour markup has to be higher. Also take into consideration how easy or difficult it might be for you to get it replaced.

Also, do you share markup details with the customer? In other words, do they see their light fixture on the internet for $350 ? And you're asking for $700 ? That can be hard to pull off if they know how much you're spending.

Basically there are two rules of thumb:
First, perception is everything. If they think you plan on marking up 60% just to order and deliver, they probably won't see how it's beneficial for them. But if you bear 100% of the warranty responsibility, they may not have a problem paying a 100% markup

Second is this ----?extract as many funds as possible. Part of thus is in the perception. High end customers have money, and they didn't get it by being gullible.

The more service they perceive, the more funds you can extract. Value is a relative idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.