Stairway and temporary wiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jumper

Sure. There is no direct prohibition against it that I know of.

This is what the NEC says:

590.4(H) Protection from Accidental Damage. Flexible cords
and cables shall be protected from accidental damage.
Sharp corners and projections shall be avoided. Where
passing through doorways or other pinch points, protection
shall be provided to avoid damage.

iwire

Staff member
If it is an occupied building and it is an egress stairway I would not run anything in it.

Only the systems required for the stairway are allowed in the stairway and then you also run into penetration issues.

You can't prop a door open and run it through the door way because fire codes require the door to be shut.

If you blast a hole into the stairway it will have to be fire stopped during and after the cables are installed and replaced.

jumper

Bob's points are all valid, but then I have to ask: What is the scope and duration of the project? Many FMs are reasonable and will flex the rules as long as qualified personel are on hand while the project is being completed.

iwire

Staff member
Many FMs are reasonable and will flex the rules as long as qualified personel are on hand while the project is being completed.

:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

You certainly don't live near me.........:D:D

Here the last person in the entire inspection chain that is reasonable and flexible is the Fire Marshall.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
In any remodel, pedstrian protection is always required and you can never comprimise the exiting system or the fire rating of a building, even if it's only "temporary".

jumper

In any remodel, pedstrian protection is always required and you can never comprimise the exiting system or the fire rating of a building, even if it's only "temporary".

I am not arguing that point, the OP did not state the scope and duration of the project. As a general rule, you guys are correct.

We once had to have a the 2nd floor main panel replaced, EC ran temp power up from the 1st, through the stairwell-not creating any tripping hazards, marked with caution signs and well protected.

I was on hand for the entire project, FM said fine. Time was 10 hrs. total.

This was a college in VA and VA demands IFC compliance with semi-annual inspections and spot review of any violations for colleges.

So, as I said it can be based on the circumstances involved. We do not know the occupancy of the building or purpose of the stairwell.

Last edited:

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I am not arguing that point, the OP did not state the scope and duration of the project. As a general rule, you guys are correct.

We once had to have a the 2nd floor main panel replaced, EC ran temp power up from the 1st, through the stairwell-not creating any tripping hazards, marked with caution signs and well protected.

I was on hand for the entire project, FM said fine. Time was 10 hrs. total.

This was a college in VA and VA demands IFC compliance with semi-annual inspections and spot review of any violations for colleges.

So, as I said it can be based on the circumstances involved. We do not know the occupancy of the building or purpose of the stairwell.

You are correct, he did not state some facts and while I did make a statement, it doesn't mean that you can never do it, but please don't use temporary as your justification.

We had a movie shoot at a hotel here in town and we were told to stop by, we get there and they have all of the fire doors blocked open. Now the FD said they had no problem with it as long as one of their people was there for the duration of the shoot, getting paid overtime of course and production would have to halt until that decision was made.

Temporary is a fine word for a fence or a porta-potty or a wall, but I think as far as electrical goes, that it's an ugly term and misused as an excuse not to do it right.

jumper

You are correct, he did not state some facts and while I did make a statement, it doesn't mean that you can never do it, but please don't use temporary as your justification.

We had a movie shoot at a hotel here in town and we were told to stop by, we get there and they have all of the fire doors blocked open. Now the FD said they had no problem with it as long as one of their people was there for the duration of the shoot, getting paid overtime of course and production would have to halt until that decision was made.

Temporary is a fine word for a fence or a porta-potty or a wall, but I think as far as electrical goes, that it's an ugly term and misused as an excuse not to do it right.

Agreed, no arguments here. I was too quick in my response as you both pointed out.:ashamed1:

jumper

;)Dang just when it was getting exciting too.

The Gambler paraphrased: know when to hold. fold. walk or run. Or IOW I may be slow, but I ain't volunteering to drive the Titanic.

whiteflag.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.