Portable Generator Hookup

Status
Not open for further replies.

chicar

I recently installed a 50 amp portable Generator hookup to a new 10 circuit transfer switch panel located inside
the basement next to the main panel. I installed an 12"x 12" x 4" pvc j-box outside, installed a pvc sleve
through the wall, ran 6-4 sjo to transfer panel. Looped about 10 ft of sjo inside j-box with male plug end
neatly tucked inside j-box. Inspector insisted I install an inlet box and use romex wire to feed the transfer
switch panel. Then stated if this was done at his cabin he would have no problem. My way the homeowner
wouldn't need to keep up with the cord needed from generator to house, just open box and plug in. Is
there any code violation involved in my install ? Don't think it's right for AJ to make me change because
of personal preference.

templdl

And watch that neutral also. Check to see if the neutral is bonded to the frame of the genset and if so that is where both the EGC an N conductor originated.
This creates a problem when trying to interface the generator with a service entrance as the neutral is grounded at the service the same point where the EGC comes from.and what you don't want is for the N to be bonded to the EGC at both the SE as well as the genset. This should not be ignored.

rlundsrud

If you do have a genset that has the neutral bonded to the frame and don't wish to separate it, you would need to switch the neutral at the ATS (it would be an sds). I would recommend that you have a floating neutral at the the generator so you don't need to switch the neutral.

Status
Not open for further replies.