Running power in an existing slab 3 ft to a new kitchen island.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Yes, I guess.

However the OP is asking about running pipes in a slab which is not underground so none of 300.5 applies.
If none of 300.5 applies why is there the row labelled Under a Building"?

Consider this, how would we run pipes in slabs on upper floors if this was not the case?
Those would not be under the building they would be in the building.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Under a building would be underground.

In a slab on the ground is not underground.
Under a building can also be above ground if the building is in stilts. (The situation has come up regarding service conductors.)
And it would be considered by rule to be inside the building too.
(Requiring a very short run or encasing in concrete.)

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
When cutting concrete on grade make sure the slab is not a tension cable type. Cutting into one of those is dangerous and expensive.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
When cutting concrete on grade make sure the slab is not a tension cable type. Cutting into one of those is dangerous and expensive.
Unless there is a potential for sinkholes in the immediate area (from natural or man-made causes), I fail to understand why anyone would use cable-tension slab on grade.

John120/240

Unless there is a potential for sinkholes in the immediate area (from natural or man-made causes), I fail to understand why anyone would use cable-tension slab on grade.

Could living in a area prone to earth quakes be a factor ? idk

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
My understanding is that the most common reason is building on expansive soils, which I know are common in some parts of California and Texas. I guess you could consider that a form of sinkholes.

Cheers, Wayne

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I might use PVC jacketed MC in a shallow chase covered with some sort of patching material.

Status
Not open for further replies.