Cooling water

Status
Not open for further replies.
We wired a motor and a solenoid for the water that going to the pump seal. There are many pumps with seals and packing that use water for cooling. An Idea came to me about saving money by reusing the same water over and over, We have away to reuse the water but I think it will be to warm to reuse, so I want to ask if anyone here came by this type of job before or know a way to cool the water before using again?

barclayd

You might want to have a Mechanical Engineer take a look.
The cost of the cooling unit, fan, pump, piping, controls, water treatment, wiring, Kwh, and additional maintenance would most certainly exceed the cost of the water.
db

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
At an industrial facility where I was employed, we installed a similar system taking advantage of a large underground unused tank and a cooling condenser for the water. With the local water rates (including a sewer charge), the system paid for itself in about 6 months. Well worth investigating.

Besoeker

I have posted in other threads that we make high current rectifiers. They are mostly water cooled.
It's circulated through a cooler much like a car radiator on a larger scale.

broadgage

You might want to have a Mechanical Engineer take a look.
The cost of the cooling unit, fan, pump, piping, controls, water treatment, wiring, Kwh, and additional maintenance would most certainly exceed the cost of the water.
db

Agreed.

It might be worth useing fresh water as you do now, but then using the waste water for toilet flushing or some other non critical use.

Some years ago I worked in a factory with some water cooled spot welding machines.
Mains water was used for cooling, a few gallons an hour being required for each of about a dozen machines.
The used cooling water was piped to a tank that supplied the toilet flushing water for the factory.
No pumps, filters or other complications were required.
Any excess of cooling water overflowed to the drain.
Any shortage of flushing water was made up automaticly from the mains.

Status
Not open for further replies.