GEC Grounding Splices (2008 NEC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 part question:
How many times can a GEC conductor be Spliced?
How many conductors are allowed under one Acorn Lug?

Please help me out with a Code Reference?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
There is no limit on the number of splices for the GEC, but they need to be irreversible. If by acorn nut do you mean the connector used for ground rods or a split bolt?

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
How many conductors are allowed under one Acorn Lug?

m13d74Ej0M2z3fesPMnGoOg.jpg

Great question. Never occurred to me to put more than one conductor under an Acorn Nut.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Please help me out with a Code Reference?
250.64(C) is the primary reference for splices. The "listed as grounding and bonding equipment" phrase is real challenging the first times you try to find it in the parts catalogs and sales information.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
The number of wires you can land on an acorn depends on the listing of the acorn but I agree the one in the photo is only supposed to have one.

Simplest way to deal with that is to loop one wire through the acorn and irreversibly splice it to the other wire. Or splice them both together somewhere on the way to the ground rod. I've seen on type that goes on a conduit connector and which has a bolt and washer so you can easily loop it around the bolt without splicing. But irreversible splices is just something that's always on my van for this.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Compression butt connectors are one type. Basically it means you got to cut the connector off if you want to remove it. It cannot be undone mechanically.
Or unsoldered, for that matter. Thermal weld packs are considered not to be reversible because of the high temperatures required.

Status
Not open for further replies.