Small commercial kitchen

Status
Not open for further replies.

guschash

I was ask to bid on this small commercial kitchen, I have not done commercial work but I would like to. Looking at the prints , they indicate conducts in conduit. Does mean emt or is MC acceptable . They show ____|_____ this | this cross through but you get the idea. I know it indicate wires in conduit but can this conduit be MC.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Sometimes the architect will do a generic plan that includes the conduit, sometimes on the plans it shows the number of conductors on that run but does not indicate if it is MC (Cable) or a conduit.

Look in the legend as what they require EMT, MC cable or RMC. It may be a local requirement that all commercial work to be done in EMT. Ask the client and/or the architect and/or the AHJ what they specify.

luckylerado

I was ask to bid on this small commercial kitchen, I have not done commercial work but I would like to. Looking at the prints , they indicate conducts in conduit. Does mean emt or is MC acceptable . They show ____|_____ this | this cross through but you get the idea. I know it indicate wires in conduit but can this conduit be MC.

If this is your first commercial kitchen may I offer this heads up on something that I have seen missed many times:

Pay special attention to the shunt trip requirements for circuits under the hood and the extra space that is usually required to accommodate the shunt trip style breakers in the panelboard (assuming there is a hood system) and also potentially the logic that needs to be built in to the makeup air/exhaust attached to it. (assuming that the hood installer has not already taken care of it)

guschash

Thanks for replies. I call engineer firm and ask him about the conduit but he wasn't sure. He said call tomorrow . I know in Chicago they use conduit but not sure how they get down the walls. This what I'm concern with I can emt above ceiling then drop down flex or MC but not sure how to do that with EMT. The shunt trip breaker was thing wasn't sure about. I have worked with shunt trips before in industrial work but those were 200 - 400 amp breakers really never seen a 20 amp shunt trip. Thanks for the heads up on the room needed for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.