Walking Coolers / Refrigerators

Status
Not open for further replies.

Itamar

Regarding to the internal wiring of a Walking Cooler/Refrigerator, what's the standard / requirement (if any) to have a 'service outlet' available inside the walking cooler (115V 60Hz)?
Is this normal, since when? or per manufacturer?

iwire

Staff member
Regarding to the internal wiring of a Walking Cooler/Refrigerator, what's the standard / requirement (if any) to have a 'service outlet' available inside the walking cooler (115V 60Hz)?
Is this normal, since when? or per manufacturer?

Walk-in, not walking. They don't go anywhere. :)

I have sent the last 15+ years servicing, remolding and building large supermarkets and I have never heard of a requirement to have a receptacle inside the cooler for servicing the equipment.

Itamar

Thanks

Thanks

Walk-in, not walking. They don't go anywhere. :)

I have sent the last 15+ years servicing, remolding and building large supermarkets and I have never heard of a requirement to have a receptacle inside the cooler for servicing the equipment.

Thanks. For both answers.:D

I'm designing a product to be installed inside a walk-in :) cooler and need to know if there is a standard 115V plug available as standard or this is an option or regulation to have or not. In other words, I'm looking for a direction on what to offer and/or at least, indicate on user manual what/how the user should proceed.

John120/240

I'm designing a product to be installed inside a walk-in :) cooler and need to know if there is a standard 115V plug available as standard or this is an option or regulation to have or not. In other words, I'm looking for a direction on what to offer and/or at least, indicate on user manual what/how the user should proceed.

I would install a GFCI protected receptacle or a GFCI device in a Bell box with a in use bubble cover.

kwired

Electron manager

You may also want to consider whether or not your product should be designed to be connected via cord and plug or if it should be "hard wired". Some of this will depend on if it is considered portable, frequently needs moved/interchanged or if it is fastened in place and never interchanged as part of normal use.

Will it be a product that is tested and listed? If so you will have a listing standard that applies.

Something designed/built out of listed components does not make the entire assembly an individual listed product.

Itamar

You may also want to consider whether or not your product should be designed to be connected via cord and plug or if it should be "hard wired". Some of this will depend on if it is considered portable, frequently needs moved/interchanged or if it is fastened in place and never interchanged as part of normal use.

Will it be a product that is tested and listed? If so you will have a listing standard that applies.

Something designed/built out of listed components does not make the entire assembly an individual listed product.

This product is supposed to not be removed too often, but at, at least once a year it should receive maintenance and for that it will be removed. We are approching as an appliance with a cord because we want the customer to instal as well.

And yes, it will be UL listed appliance.

My question is to understand what are (if any) the standard for Walk-in coolers, does it have to have a plug available inside? I know some has, but others may not. What about old ones?
Is there any building codes anywhere (in US) that require to have a plug inside?

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
This product is supposed to not be removed too often, but at, at least once a year it should receive maintenance and for that it will be removed. We are approching as an appliance with a cord because we want the customer to instal as well.

And yes, it will be UL listed appliance.

My question is to understand what are (if any) the standard for Walk-in coolers, does it have to have a plug available inside? I know some has, but others may not. What about old ones?
Is there any building codes anywhere (in US) that require to have a plug inside?

I would say that very few do. You are best to operate under that assumption and create the expectation that one needs to be installed

jeremysterling

I would install a GFCI protected receptacle or a GFCI device in a Bell box with a in use bubble cover.

I see these quite often in WIC's where the plumber has cheesed a cord cap onto some heat trace for the condensate drain and plugged it into a GFCI duplex recept.

If I'm asked to install heat trace, I use the manufacturer's end feed into a bellbox supplied by a GFCI breaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.