GFI protection on motors other than pump motors for permanantly installed pools ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

howardrichman

OK; Are air blower motor(s) for an in ground pool considered "pump motors" in the NEC under 680-22B needing to be GFCI protected ?

HR...

ronball

Occupation
Electric Contractor
THE SPA'S THAT I HAVE CONNECTED AREN'T AIR BLOWERS, THEY ARE CIRCULATING JETS, THAT FORCE ALOT OF WATER FOR IN EYELETS, AND THESE MOTORS ARE REQUIRED TO BE GFCI PROTECTED.

hurk27

I have yet to see a self-contained spa or hot tub unit that does not require GFCI protection for all electrical equipment connected to the hot tub or spa, so with 110.3 in mind I would say yes.

howardrichman

the air blowers I've been wiring, sit on top a 2" pipe 4' from the ground, and push air. I'de dout if there's any contact w/ water. I'll call local inspector anyways.
HR...

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I don't believe they would require GFCI protection, IMO. The water heaters don't appear to need gfci protection either.

growler

Im aware, were still on 2005 though.... :)

stickboy I was reading your signature about "electricity being made up of extemely small particales called electrons that cannot be seen with the naked eye unless you have been drinking".

I guess that's why electrical work is easier when you are drunk, you can see what you are doing. :lol:

hurk27

I don't believe they would require GFCI protection, IMO. The water heaters don't appear to need gfci protection either.

I would believe that 680.44 intends that all equipment in or on a hot tub is required to be GFCI protected, having electric heating elements that are in direct contact with the water to me seems like a good reason to protect such a circuit, as for air blowers go, i can see the argument of not requiring them, but almost every one I have worked on has always been powered through the integral GFCI for the hot tub.

I would believe that 680.44 intends that all equipment in or on a hot tub is required to be GFCI protected, having electric heating elements that are in direct contact with the water to me seems like a good reason to protect such a circuit, as for air blowers go, i can see the argument of not requiring them, but almost every one I have worked on has always been powered through the integral GFCI for the hot tub.

NEC is a MINIMUM requirement, use your sound judgement IN addition what you, as a professional, would think has beneficial purpose. Of course make it clear to your custormer the above difference between what you thijnk is required and what is the mandatory minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.