NM entering box

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
I'm having a tough time finding where the NEC states NM must enter through the fitting in the box, not in 334 so it has to be in 300. Little help please, thanks.

DSCN1980.jpg

From inside the wall.
DSCN1981.jpg

cadpoint

Run a metal framing (stub) member up from the top furring to ceiling and band the NM to it.

Use plastic stand off on a vertical run, or run a framing member down the length of vertical run and attach NM to it...

Plastic to plastic NM to plastic box 314.3.

Seems I'm missing something... what else is new ...

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Looks to me like the NM doesn't qualify as having entered the box.
I would also throw 312.4 out there, you cant leave more then an 1/8" to non-combustibles, plus NM is thicker then 1/8".

luckyshadow

It's the exception to 314.17 ( C ) that mentions NM Cable entering through a knockout.
If your box is no larger then 2 1/4 X 4 and the NM Cable is secured within 8" of the box and the cable sheath extends through a cable knockouot 1/4" ,then securing the cable to the box is not required.
In your picture the NM Cable sheath does not extend through a cable knockout 1/4",nor is it secured with 8", thus you are required to secure it to the box. Thus one must use a NM Cable connector.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Ok, I'll run with that.

314.17 Conductors Entering Boxes, Conduit Bodies, or Fittings.

(C) Nonmetallic Boxes and Conduit Bodies. Nonmetallic boxes and conduit bodies shall be suitable for the lowest temperature-rated conductor entering the box. Where nonmetallic boxes and conduit bodies are used with messenger-supported wiring, open wiring on insulators, or concealed knob-and-tube wiring, the conductors shall enter the box through individual holes. Where flexible tubing is used to enclose the conductors, the tubing shall extend from the last insulating support to not less than 6 mm (? in.) inside the box and beyond any cable clamp. Where nonmetallic-sheathed cable or multiconductor Type UF cable is used, the sheath shall extend not less than 6 mm (? in.) inside the box and beyond any cable clamp. In all instances, all permitted wiring methods shall be secured to the boxes.
Thanks all.

glene77is

314.17(C) might help

I am thinking that 110.
(B) Installation and Use.
Listed or labeled equipment shall be installed and used
in accordance with any instructions included in the listing or labeling

So, cable entering through a field modified hole in the side of the box would not pass.

Occupation
Inspector
I am thinking that 110.

So, cable entering through a field modified hole in the side of the box would not pass.

Are you asking or making a statment?

mivey

I am thinking that 110.

So no KO and a romex connector?

cadpoint

I missed it, I should go back to the larger monitor to see, all I should see :)

I do like my mini notebook, but not all pictures are the same from monitor to monitor either, etc...

But no excuses...

glene77is

So no KO and a romex connector?

Mivey,
Correct.
No drilled out KO and Romex connector; ie, field modification.
I hate to have said it, but I did. :mad:
I recall several times I've had to do just that, in renovations,
because there was no other practical method to safely run the wire.
I like the 22cu.in. boxes because there is so much extra room at the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.