knee pads

Status
Not open for further replies.

bikeindy

I just bought a pair of semi cheep ones at Lowes and they are great. I don't spend a lot of time on my knees but I need them when I go in crawls and attics anymore.

rexowner

Occupation
Electrician
For crawling around for a few hours on a rat-slab
in a crawlspace, I have a pair of Patella-T's. The
knee protection is great, but the straps can kind
of restrict circulation if not adjusted just right.

If I were to wear them all the time, I'd get some
pants with knee-pads built in, so the straps weren't
an issue. There are a number of brands, but I've
never worn them.

alfiesauce

I know a couple guys that use gardener pads when devicing.
Then they aren't walking around with the knee pads digging into their legs.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
does anybody know any really good comfortable knee pads? all the sets i buy are always uncomfortable

ok. you asked.... the guys who really are into kneeling are the
hardwood floor guys. here's what they use:

http://proknee.com/index.html

these are not for the faint of heart, or weak of wallet. not cheap.
prices vary depending on configuration, but $350 to $400 is the range
for a pair. they work, and everyone who uses them swears by them.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
ok. you asked.... the guys who really are into kneeling are the
hardwood floor guys. here's what they use:

http://proknee.com/index.html

these are not for the faint of heart, or weak of wallet. not cheap.
prices vary depending on configuration, but $350 to $400 is the range
for a pair. they work, and everyone who uses them swears by them.

hm... strike that price.... their web site is somewhat confusing, but it seems
you can get a fully spiffed pair of these for $209.

time for bed. i started work at 4 am, and worked to 6 pm, with an hour
break for lunch. what on earth am i sitting here looking at kneepads for?

the internet is evil.

goodnight.

wawireguy

I've tried a lot of knee pads and haven't found any I like yet. The Carhart in the pants ones drop down to low. Perhaps a person could sew them in the right spot in the pocket? Volley ball ones seem to hurt my legs. Tried some plastic strap on ones, they fell down a lot. I'm thinking sewing velcro on to the back of your pants and strapping them on with that might work. I'll probably be looking at some Alta's or Bijans sometime.

macmikeman

I buy the soft knee pads sold at Sports Authority store in the soccer or basketball section. I like them better than the hard shell ones, cause you can detect a truss cord buried in attic insulation with your knee when using one of that type. And they won't slide off the truss edge like a hard shell knee pad will.

As a caver, I've only liked soft knee pads. My old favorites were the cheapies from Harbor Freight (cost +/- $5 per pair) there are also some nice ones made by B&C Wunderwear that run about $35, but go from just above a boot to just above a knee. The ones I've heard good things about, but can't find anymore are the Bombergear knee pads. They stopped making them a few years ago, as far as I can tell.

Last edited:

electricalperson

thanks for the help guys. my knees will thank you all.

i knew some people would have comments about being on your knees all day. i hear those comments all the time whenever i mention kneepads at work. its a huge joke i suppose

mdshunk

I wear kneepads religiously, but I don't spend any real money on them. Even the expensive one's get uncomfortable in time. Because of that, I buy the 4 dollar black foam rubber one's at WalMart and just replace them once a month or so. I just consider them disposable. I kneel in too much goop to spend the big money on flooring installers kneepads. They'd end up smelling like stale beer or cat pee.

electricalperson

I wear kneepads religiously, but I don't spend any real money on them. Even the expensive one's get uncomfortable in time. Because of that, I buy the 4 dollar black foam rubber one's at WalMart and just replace them once a month or so. I just consider them disposable. I kneel in too much goop to spend the big money on flooring installers kneepads. They'd end up smelling like stale beer or cat pee.

those must be some lovely houses you work in

mdshunk

those must be some lovely houses you work in
Not every day, mind you. That beer thing happened to me once. I had to pull out a bottle cooler in a bar to work on a receptacle behind it. I knelt right in a puddle of beer, and my pants soaked some of it up too. I have a change of clothes in a duffel behind the seat for such occasions. I'd hate to have the next customer thinking I just got done tipping a couple before I came to their house to work on the wiring.

electricalperson

Not every day, mind you. That beer thing happened to me once. I had to pull out a bottle cooler in a bar to work on a receptacle behind it. I knelt right in a puddle of beer, and my pants soaked some of it up too. I have a change of clothes in a duffel behind the seat for such occasions. I'd hate to have the next customer thinking I just got done tipping a couple before I came to their house to work on the wiring.

if you worked at the houses of some of my buddies you would have a lot more stale beer on your pants. thats a good idea to bring a change of clothes to work

Status
Not open for further replies.